Hi! Currently on my System (Debian sid), Guile 1.8 does not support SLIB. I have done a preliminary patch (attached) that makes the module (ice-9 slib) load the guile.init file from SLIB, which seems to work fine AFAICS. Currently, the patch hard-codes the location of the guile.init file, (which would be suitable for Debian use, but not for upstream); I had the intention to improve this (using a path figured out by configure.ac), if this is the right way to do this; another option would be placing the contents of guile.init in the (ice-9 slib) module. So which is the way forward? I'll prepare patches for Guile upstream once I know what the right approach to this problem is...