* What should PACKAGE_VERSION be set to for guile-2.0?
@ 2011-11-22  7:18 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2011-11-22  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

I now maintain the Debian packages as a branch of the Guile Git tree,
and was wondering what PACKAGE_VERSION should be set to for guile-2.0
(i.e. what should (version) return, etc.).

At the moment, I have the packages adjusted to use
build-aux/git-version-gen, but due to the arrangement of the Debian
branches, and the way git describe works, that ends up creating versions
like this: 2.0.3.2645-9ea53.

That didn't seem very useful, and I also wondered if the Debian versions
should be distinguished somehow, but I wasn't sure exactly what the
expectations were for PACKAGE_VERSION.

For example, if the format isn't critical, you could include the Debian
revision like this if you wanted to be really specific:
2.0.3-deb+1-2-f727.

Of course that "+1-2" could eventually be a lot messier, like
"+1-2+squeeze4~bpo50+1" (for a squeeze backport, for example), so you
wouldn't want to include the Debian revision unless the format of
PACKAGE_VERSION isn't very rigid.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org

* Re: What should PACKAGE_VERSION be set to for guile-2.0?
@ 2011-11-22  9:07 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2011-11-22  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Browning; +Cc: guile-devel

On Tue 22 Nov 2011 08:18, Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> I now maintain the Debian packages as a branch of the Guile Git tree,
> and was wondering what PACKAGE_VERSION should be set to for guile-2.0
> (i.e. what should (version) return, etc.).

If you are building from the releases + patches, then just the release
name, I would think.

There are fields in %guile-build-info for packager and
packager-version.  They are used by (ice-9 command-line)'s `version-etc'
routine, used by guile --version.

Or do something different :)  This is just a quick reaction.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: What should PACKAGE_VERSION be set to for guile-2.0?
@ 2011-11-26 22:57   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2011-11-26 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi,

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> skribis:

> On Tue 22 Nov 2011 08:18, Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:
>
>> I now maintain the Debian packages as a branch of the Guile Git tree,
>> and was wondering what PACKAGE_VERSION should be set to for guile-2.0
>> (i.e. what should (version) return, etc.).
>
> If you are building from the releases + patches, then just the release
> name, I would think.

Provided the patches are small and submitted, IMO.

Ludo’.

* Re: What should PACKAGE_VERSION be set to for guile-2.0?
@ 2011-11-26 22:59 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2011-11-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi Rob,

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> skribis:

> At the moment, I have the packages adjusted to use
> build-aux/git-version-gen, but due to the arrangement of the Debian
> branches, and the way git describe works, that ends up creating versions
> like this: 2.0.3.2645-9ea53.

‘git-version-gen’ doesn’t use ‘git describe’ when run from a tarball.
Are you building from Git?

Thanks,
Ludo’.