* 2.2.0 release plan
@ 2017-03-14 15:01 Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2017-03-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi,

I think we are ready to go for 2.2.0.  I am going to make a provisional
2.2.0 tag today and update the version.  I will dist a tarball and
upload to somewhere provisional.

However!  Even though the code says 2.2.0 and the tag says 2.2.0, the
release is not until Thursday.  I will not upload the tag yet.

This will give us a chance to update the web site, prepare nice release
notes, make a binary build using the new "guix pack", and test
everything out.  It could be we find some showstopper like a libtool age
issue or something.  If that's the case, we can fix it and re-spin a
release.  Since I won't have uploaded the tag, all should be good.

Thoughts welcome :)

Andy

* Re: 2.2.0 release plan
@ 2017-03-14 15:25 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2017-03-14 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-devel

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> However!  Even though the code says 2.2.0 and the tag says 2.2.0, the
> release is not until Thursday.  I will not upload the tag yet.

I have just barely caught up with 2.0.x in pkgsrc, and haven't gotten to
testing 2.1.x yet.  I wonder how many platforms 2.1.x has been tested
on, and really I mean "has it been tested on other than GNU/Linux".

So if you think it's ready, I would suggest preparing a 2.2.0rc1, or
simply a new 2.1.x with the notion that aside from version numbers it's
an RC, and call for all people engaged in packaging to try to package it
as 2.2, and to give them a few weeks.

The basic issue is that getting widespread testing relies on a bunch of
people for whom hacking on guile is one little thing among many, and not
their main Free Software focus.  This is not about guile; I see this in
a vast number of projects.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 2.2.0 release plan
@ 2017-03-14 15:50   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2017-03-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: guile-devel

On Tue 14 Mar 2017 16:25, Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> writes:

> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> However!  Even though the code says 2.2.0 and the tag says 2.2.0, the
>> release is not until Thursday.  I will not upload the tag yet.
>
> I have just barely caught up with 2.0.x in pkgsrc, and haven't gotten to
> testing 2.1.x yet.  I wonder how many platforms 2.1.x has been tested
> on, and really I mean "has it been tested on other than GNU/Linux".

Things are in the early days, you are right.  GNU/Linux and macOS have
been tested.  Cygwin builds and works though it has some test errors; we
are working on it.  I don't know about mingw yet.  I think there might
be some errors on the other BSDs but I don't know yet.

> So if you think it's ready, I would suggest preparing a 2.2.0rc1, or
> simply a new 2.1.x with the notion that aside from version numbers it's
> an RC, and call for all people engaged in packaging to try to package it
> as 2.2, and to give them a few weeks.

I have done exactly that in the past weeks with 2.1.7 and 2.1.8 :) I
think a 2.2.1 will follow very soon (within a month or so from 2.2.0, I
would imagine), so any portability fixes will naturally be included
there.  That's about the same timeframe you are asking for, so all is
well in that regard.

Happy hacking,

Andy

* Re: 2.2.0 release plan
@ 2017-03-15  0:35     ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2017-03-15  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-devel

> On Mar 14, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue 14 Mar 2017 16:25, Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> writes:
>
>> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>>
>>> However!  Even though the code says 2.2.0 and the tag says 2.2.0, the
>>> release is not until Thursday.  I will not upload the tag yet.
>>
>> I have just barely caught up with 2.0.x in pkgsrc, and haven't gotten to
>> testing 2.1.x yet.  I wonder how many platforms 2.1.x has been tested
>> on, and really I mean "has it been tested on other than GNU/Linux".
>
> Things are in the early days, you are right.  GNU/Linux and macOS have
> been tested.  Cygwin builds and works though it has some test errors; we
> are working on it.  I don't know about mingw yet.  I think there might
> be some errors on the other BSDs but I don't know yet.

Just got my desktop to extra-boot FreeBSD.  I’m taking a shot at that target (amd64).

* Re: 2.2.0 release plan
@ 2017-03-15  2:59       ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2017-03-15  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel; +Cc: Andy Wingo