From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: "Germán Diago" <germandiago@gmail.com>
Cc: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Interest in windows native port, interpreters for other languages and C++ binding API.
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 14:56:06 +0200	[thread overview]

> From: Germán Diago <germandiago@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 12:18:28 +0700
> Cc: guile-devel@gnu.org
>
> Well, provided that you are tied to msys and you can never ever compile guile with a microsoft compiler, that
> is ok. You are talking only about your use case. The reality is quite different: if you want windows adoption, you
> need to use the native toolchain to compile.

MSYS is used only to run Bash, m4, perl, etc.  -- programs that are
invoked during the configure stage and by shell script fragments in
the Makefile.  The compiler is MinGW, not MSYS.  MinGW produces native
executables that are completely compatible with MSVC compiled
programs.  So I don't see a problem here, or any need to use non-free compilers.

> I can say with confidence that keeping autotools and taking windows seriously at the
> same time is just impossible.

That's definitely not my experience.

> So my view here is that to have a decent windows port we would need native
> windows threads and compile with microsoft compiler

MinGW supports native Windows threads, and in fact the ported pthreads
are just a very thin wrapper around native threads.