* Re: bug#12665: regexp fault for closing square bracket within character class
       [not found]   ` <CAMFYt2Y9fv-XfrDktn+kFBfen8k2tFaWnPSsCoNM0z9uZtCT=g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-10-18 12:18     ` Marijn
From: Marijn @ 2012-10-18 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panicz Maciej Godek; +Cc: Mark H Weaver, guile-devel

* Re: bug#12665: regexp fault for closing square bracket within character class
@ 2012-10-18 17:26       ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2012-10-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marijn; +Cc: guile-devel, Panicz Maciej Godek

Marijn <hkBst@gentoo.org> writes:
> ``Regular expressions crammed into string-syntax'' really needs to be
> deprecated in Scheme implementations. SRE[1][2] is more expressive and
> doesn't suffer from such exceptions.

I wholehearted agree that SRE is far superior, and that we should
implement SRE and strongly encourage its use, but I wouldn't go so far
as to _deprecate_ traditional regexp syntax.  Like it or not, regexp
syntax is burned into the minds of users everywhere, and for many common
cases it is adequate and more concise.

Patches welcome :)

     Mark