From: Daniel Kraft <d@domob.eu>
To: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: guile-emacs for gsoc
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:55:31 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Brian,

Brian Templeton wrote:
> I'm preparing Summer of Code applications and am considering working on
> Emacs-Guile integration. Here's my understanding of the current
> situation, from skimming list archives, source code, etc.:

this sounds great!  I did the current elisp implementation in last
year's GSoC, so I'd love to see this covered further!  Unfortunatly I
had nearly no time at all to work on this since last autumn because of
my studies, even though I would have liked to.

I do not really know about Ken's guile-emacs or emacs itself, but I hope
I can give you some hints on the "pure" elisp implementation:

First of all, see README in module/language/elisp.  And of course,
module/language/elisp itself, there's where (nearly) all of it is
concentrated.

One important open thing I'm aware is "proper" handling of Elisp's nil
vs. Scheme's #f and '() -- this has been source of discussion for quite
some while now, and you should find plenty of threads in the archives.
And another thing is that Guile's "backend" got recently support for
things like optional arguments, while last summer I implemented this in
the elisp "front end"; so maybe a good first start (I don't know if an
easy start, though) could be to switch elisp's implementation to the
available Guile infrastructure instead.

Of the missing elisp bits, some are mentioned in the README file.  Other
things, especially what I had in mind as doing "next", would be for
instance buffer- and frame-local bindings.

I think there may even be some threads in the mailing list archives
where I wrote some ideas about that; I'm not sure, though.  I think my
idea was to mark the bindings in a special way (similarly to what is
currently done for void values) and back them by some kind of hash-table
that is indexed with the current buffer/frame/whatever on retrieval.
But if you want to work on that, you will no doubt find a good way to do
so :)

If you want to work (also) on the real emacs integration, I can not tell
you anything about that.  But if that's your main focus of interest,
maybe I can even find some time again during the summer to work on the
elisp bits and help you that way -- I guess that the emacs work may be
far more than a single GSoC project...  (I will not apply for Guile as
GSoC project though, this would be just "for fun" -- more so than GSoC
already is.)

Happy hacking!

Daniel