* Guile 3 and wip-elisp/Emacs
@ 2021-09-10 15:09 Gregg Sangster
From: Gregg Sangster @ 2021-09-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello Guile Hackers,

I've rebased the wip-elisp branch on top of commit 449f50dd84a081aea16ef678e32bf37abe429ff6 (git describe: v3.0.4-64-g33232cb5c4).  It's published here:

https://git.sr.ht/~g20r/guile

There are two additional failed tests which appear to be new tests added since the last work on the wip-elisp branch.  Also, ./configure requires the --disable-jit option as the build fails otherwise.  I have not yet investigated any of these issues.

I don't have much experience with Guile itself or the Guile codebase.  The next commit has a conflict I was not able to resolve: that's why it's not rebased all the way up to the tip of main.  My next tasks are to get the current Guile Emacs running on this version of Guile followed by fixing the JIT build failure, rebasing this to the tip of main and rebasing Guile Emacs on a more recent Emacs (I believe it is currently v24.something).

My question is if this is worthwhile work?  I don't have much time to spend on it but am happy to keep hacking away if there's still upstream interest.

--
Gregg

* Re: Guile 3 and wip-elisp/Emacs
@ 2021-09-13 10:56 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-09-13 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Sangster; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi Gregg,

> I've rebased the wip-elisp branch on top of commit
> 449f50dd84a081aea16ef678e32bf37abe429ff6 (git describe:
> v3.0.4-64-g33232cb5c4).  It's published here:
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~g20r/guile

FWIW I had also rebased wip-elisp in 2020:

    https://git.elephly.net/?p=software/guile.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/wip-elisp

--
Ricardo

* Re: Guile 3 and wip-elisp/Emacs
@ 2021-09-13  2:13   ` Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-09-13  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: Gregg Sangster, guile-devel

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hello Gregg,
> "Gregg Sangster" <gregg@thesangsters.ca> writes:
>
>> I've rebased the wip-elisp branch on top of commit
>> 449f50dd84a081aea16ef678e32bf37abe429ff6 (git describe:
>> v3.0.4-64-g33232cb5c4).  It's published here:
>>
>> https://git.sr.ht/~g20r/guile
>
> I’m not a Guile core developer, but I think that this is awesome!
>
>> My question is if this is worthwhile work?  I don't have much time to
>> spend on it but am happy to keep hacking away if there's still
>> upstream interest.
>
> I think that there is upstream interest in Guile to improve the elisp
> implementation, but I’m not sure about Emacs. They added improvements to
> elisp that also provide better performance and they keep improving their
> elisp implementation.

I would personally think it would be good if we could get the wip-elisp
branch merged.  It would be good not to bitrot.  It seems more likely to
survive if it gets included in emacs proper.

> That said: Tools like fibers would be great to have in Emacs.
>
> The workload to finish this is considerable, though: IIRC You’ll need to
> solve some deeper problems that prevent Guile Emacs from using
> byte-compiled files (that’s why it currently has a very high startup
> time).
>
> That said, there is a guile-emacs package in guix, and Guile 3.0.7 is
> much faster than Guile 2.

Yes, to complete *guile-emacs*... that will be a lot of work.  But it
will be less work if guile's elisp branch is no longer this separate
thing that isn't kept up to date with the rest of guile.  More likely
that someone could finish and pick it up.

@ 2021-09-10 19:59 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-09-10 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Sangster; +Cc: guile-devel

Hello Gregg,
"Gregg Sangster" <gregg@thesangsters.ca> writes:

> I've rebased the wip-elisp branch on top of commit 449f50dd84a081aea16ef678e32bf37abe429ff6 (git describe: v3.0.4-64-g33232cb5c4).  It's published here:
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~g20r/guile

I’m not a Guile core developer, but I think that this is awesome!

> My question is if this is worthwhile work?  I don't have much time to spend on it but am happy to keep hacking away if there's still upstream interest.

I think that there is upstream interest in Guile to improve the elisp
implementation, but I’m not sure about Emacs. They added improvements to
elisp that also provide better performance and they keep improving their
elisp implementation.

That said: Tools like fibers would be great to have in Emacs.

The workload to finish this is considerable, though: IIRC You’ll need to
solve some deeper problems that prevent Guile Emacs from using
byte-compiled files (that’s why it currently has a very high startup
time).

That said, there is a guile-emacs package in guix, and Guile 3.0.7 is
much faster than Guile 2.

(please someone correct me if I’m wrong!)

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein