* Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2003-09-20  2:58 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2003-09-20  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that the psyntax.pp issues is straightened out, I'm considering
making a 1.6.5 release in the next week or so, time permitting, and
presuming that no new problems crop up.  If anyone knows of any
showstoppers, please let me know.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-07 17:24 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2004-08-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to move us toward making a new stable release soon, and so I
wanted to check with everyone and see what issues might still need to
be resolved.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-07 19:56 ` Matthias Koeppe
From: Matthias Koeppe @ 2004-08-07 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Problem there:

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> I'd like to move us toward making a new stable release soon, and so I
> wanted to check with everyone and see what issues might still need to
> be resolved.

Rob, could you apply two patches that I sent to this list, which I
would like to see in 1.6.5.  One is from May 26 ("Patch for
ice-9/pretty-print.scm"), one from July 8 ("Patch for speeding up the
debugging evaluator by a factor of 600").  They have not yet been
applied to Guile CVS (and I also did not get any feedback at all).
I think both patches should go into 1.6.5 (and CVS HEAD).

Thanks
--
Matthias Koeppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-08 18:39   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2004-08-08 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Matthias Koeppe <mkoeppe@mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

> Rob, could you apply two patches that I sent to this list, which I
> would like to see in 1.6.5.  One is from May 26 ("Patch for
> ice-9/pretty-print.scm"), one from July 8 ("Patch for speeding up the
> debugging evaluator by a factor of 600").  They have not yet been
> applied to Guile CVS (and I also did not get any feedback at all).
> I think both patches should go into 1.6.5 (and CVS HEAD).

OK, thanks, I'll add these to the list of stuff to look at before the
release.

--

@ 2004-08-09  8:38 ` Michael Tuexen
From: Michael Tuexen @ 2004-08-09  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Dear all,

I would like to know if it is possible to include in the
1.6.5 release some modifications of socket.c which are needed
for basic SCTP support.

This includes adding some constants (which will be #ifdefed out)
if they are not available and two wrapper functions for sctp_recvmsg
and sctp_sendmsg.

configure.in has to be changed to look for netinet/sctp.h and
libsctp.

I can submit the patches during this week which are tested on
FreeBSD with KAME and Redhat Linux with a 2.6.? kernel which supports
SCTP.

Please note that if you compile guile on a platform without SCTP
support, nothing changes.

Please let me know if this seems appropriate.

It would be helpful for me to have this stuff included in the
mail guile distribution because I use this for building SIGTRAN
testers, which will be published. guile is already used as an
SCTP tester (stt) available from www.sctp.de.

Best regards
Michael

On Aug 7, 2004, at 7:24 PM, Rob Browning wrote:

> I'd like to move us toward making a new stable release soon, and so I
> wanted to check with everyone and see what issues might still need to
> be resolved.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Rob Browning
> rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu
> GPG starting 2002-11-03 = 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592  F9A0 25C8 D377
> 8C7E 73A4

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-09 15:17 ` Andreas Vögele
From: Andreas Vögele @ 2004-08-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Browning writes:

> I'd like to move us toward making a new stable release soon, and so I
> wanted to check with everyone and see what issues might still need to
> be resolved.

I came across the following problems, that are already fixed in CVS
HEAD, when building the 1.6 snapshot on OpenBSD and Mac OS X.

configure should check for the header file crt_externs.h and the
functions unsetenv and _NSGetEnviron.

On the BSDs, putenv cannot be used to remove environment variables. If
available,
scm_putenv should call unsetenv to remove variables.

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-09 16:04   ` Michael Tuexen
From: Michael Tuexen @ 2004-08-09 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

This seems to be related to the problem I see on Mac OS X:
I can build and use the static version, but not the dynamic
version.

So I always use
./configure --disable-shared

I found some hints in the web which also talks about _NSGetEnviron
and crt_externs.h but I could not figure out (yet) how to put
all this together such that I can build shared libs.

This would definitely be good if building dynamic libs is supported.

Best regards
Michael

@ 2004-08-09 17:17     ` Andreas Vögele
From: Andreas Vögele @ 2004-08-09 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Tuexen writes:

> This seems to be related to the problem I see on Mac OS X: I can build
> and use the static version, but not the dynamic version. [...] This
> would definitely be good if building dynamic libs is supported.

There's a Fink port called guile16 that supports shared libraries. The
current CVS version does also work under Mac OS X. Furthermore, the
code that uses _NSGetEnviron is already in the 1.6 branch. Only the
corresponding checks are missing from configure.in.

Guile snapshots are available at
<ftp://ftp.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/pub/guile/snapshots>.
You can unpack and build the snapshot with the following  commands
under Mac OS X:

tar xzf guile-core.tar.gz
cd guile-core-20040808
sh configure
echo >>config.h "#define HAVE__NSGETENVIRON 1"
echo >>config.h "#define HAVE_CRT_EXTERNS_H 1"
make
make check

One check will fail. That's the putenv problem mentioned in my previous
message. If you want to get rid of this error edit libguile/posix.c.
Look for the function scm_putenv and replace the putenv call with
something like

if (strchr (ptr, '='))
   rv = putenv (ptr);
else
   {
     unsetenv (ptr);
     rv = 0;
   }

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-09 19:16       ` Michael Tuexen
From: Michael Tuexen @ 2004-08-09 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Hello Andreas,

I tried your procedure and it works!

So it would be great if this can be included in 1.6.5. Then guile
works out of the box on Mac OS X.

Best regards
Michael

From: Michael Tuexen @ 2004-08-09 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Hello Andreas,

I tried your procedure and it works!

So it would be great if this can be included in 1.6.5. Then guile
works out of the box on Mac OS X.

Best regards
Michael

On Aug 9, 2004, at 7:17 PM, Andreas Vögele wrote:

> Michael Tuexen writes:
>
>> This seems to be related to the problem I see on Mac OS X: I can
>> build and use the static version, but not the dynamic version. [...]
>> This would definitely be good if building dynamic libs is supported.
>
> There's a Fink port called guile16 that supports shared libraries. The
> current CVS version does also work under Mac OS X. Furthermore, the
> code that uses _NSGetEnviron is already in the 1.6 branch. Only the
> corresponding checks are missing from configure.in.
>
> Guile snapshots are available at
> <ftp://ftp.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/pub/guile/snapshots>.
> You can unpack and build the snapshot with the following  commands
> under Mac OS X:
>
> tar xzf guile-core.tar.gz
> cd guile-core-20040808
> sh configure
> echo >>config.h "#define HAVE__NSGETENVIRON 1"
> echo >>config.h "#define HAVE_CRT_EXTERNS_H 1"
> make
> make check
>
> One check will fail. That's the putenv problem mentioned in my
> libguile/posix.c. Look for the function scm_putenv and replace the
> putenv call with something like
>
> if (strchr (ptr, '='))
>   rv = putenv (ptr);
> else
>   {
>     unsetenv (ptr);
>     rv = 0;
>   }

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-10  0:20   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-08-10  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Andreas Vögele <voegelas@gmx.net> writes:

> On the BSDs, putenv cannot be used to remove environment variables. If
> available,
> scm_putenv should call unsetenv to remove variables.

Thanks, I made that change.

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-10  0:26   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-08-10  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Andreas Vögele <voegelas@gmx.net> writes:

> configure should check for the header file crt_externs.h and the
> functions unsetenv and _NSGetEnviron.

Ah, the change got in but not the configs.  Thanks, I brought that
across.

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-10  9:19     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-08-10  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> Andreas Vögele <voegelas@gmx.net> writes:
>>
>> configure should check for the header file crt_externs.h and the
>> functions unsetenv and _NSGetEnviron.
>
> Ah, the change got in but not the configs.  Thanks, I brought that
> across.

Excellent, thanks.  And sorry for the untested changes...

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release
@ 2004-08-11  7:31 Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2004-08-11  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Users, guile-devel

It might be worth trying to integrate the minor code changes and
instructions that I've worked out for building using MS Visual C on Windows.

However,

- as I understand it, this would need a DOS build script that is
independent of the existing configure stuff

- I'm worried that I may be misunderstanding the benefit of building
using MS Visual C, and should be focussing on building with MINGW instead.

On the second point, can anyone comment whether there is any practical
difference between a Guile DLL built with MSVC and one built with MINGW?
  The two points that seem useful to me from MSVC-building are (i)
direct use of the MS C runtime; (ii) MSVC debugging information.  But it
may be that MINGW could give me these as well.

Regards,
      Neil

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release.
@ 2004-08-12  8:10       ` Andreas Vögele
From: Andreas Vögele @ 2004-08-12  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marius Vollmer writes:

> Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:
>
>> Andreas Vögele <voegelas@gmx.net> writes:
>>>
>>> configure should check for the header file crt_externs.h and the
>>> functions unsetenv and _NSGetEnviron.
>>
>> Ah, the change got in but not the configs.  Thanks, I brought that
>> across.
>
> Excellent, thanks.  And sorry for the untested changes...

Thanks a lot for the great work.

I've just built the latest snapshot of the 1.6 branch on Debian
Woody/i386, OpenBSD 3.5/i386, Mac OS X 10.3/ppc and SuSE SLES-7.2/s390.
The latest snapshot builds out-of-the-box on all four platforms and
"make check" outputs the same results:

Totals for this test run:
passes:				2676
failures:				0
unexpected passes:		0
expected failures:		18
unresolved test cases:	0
untested test cases:		0
unsupported test cases:	9
errors:				0

PASS: check-guile

* Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release
@ 2004-08-19 14:58 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2004-08-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Users, guile-devel

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> On the second point, can anyone comment whether there is any practical
> difference between a Guile DLL built with MSVC and one built with
> MINGW? The two points that seem useful to me from MSVC-building are
> (i) direct use of the MS C runtime; (ii) MSVC debugging information.
> But it may be that MINGW could give me these as well.

I'd say fixes for the above would be fine once you can figure out what
the "right thing" is.  i.e. whether mingw would be equivalent or not,
etc.