From: Neil Van Dyke <neil@neilvandyke.org>
To: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:11:16 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear fellow Guile people,

I'm a long-time libre software and Scheme person, who recently
subscribed to the Guile lists.  After so long away from Guile, I was
very happy to return and see an active developer community around it.  I
appreciate everyone's labor-of-love efforts here, in some of the best
spirit of libre software.

I'm troubled to hear, in the last month or so, some concerns that have
been discouraging people in libre software, including Guile. I've long
been aware of some ways people have been alienated from libre software,
but not of some of the more discouraging things I've heard recently.

Discouragement tends to mean losing people.  One of our primary goals is
the opposite of losing people -- welcoming and gaining the collective
benefits of *many more* people, participating and contributing.

Being welcoming is a continual learning process, for all of us. Like
many topics, the more I learn, I realize the less I knew.  It's very
humbling.  What I think we can do is embrace that humility -- to ask, to
listen, and to try.  (I don't claim to be at all good at this,
personally; only that it seems to be a very constructive aspiration or
guideline, to try to remember.)

I'd also like to propose that we try to extend that humility to
supporting others, as we all continually learn from mistakes. Making it
safe/permissible to recognize, learn from, and correct mistakes seems
part of a healthy environment.  We're all human, built on learning from
mistakes, and it's OK.  Some situations might eventually prove to be
"irreconcilable", but we should try to consider the possibilities,
perhaps with a touch of aspirational idealism and creativity, and
considering the good that might come from each possibility we can
imagine, before we decide which paths to pursue.

I hope that everyone currently involved with Guile will continue to be
involved, not get discouraged and leave -- even as we all continue
figuring out how to be more welcoming to everyone, and figuring out how
to correct some past alienation of people, which I think has also harmed
us collectively.

Thank you, and best regards to everyone.