From: Dirk Herrmann <dirk@dirk-herrmanns-seiten.de>
Cc: guile-user@gnu.org, guile-devel@gnu.org, mvo@zagadka.de
Subject: Re: Worrying development
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:45:37 +0100	[thread overview]

Tom Lord wrote:

>    > From: Dirk Herrmann <dirk@dirk-herrmanns-seiten.de>
>
>    > What may users of a string data type expect? Shall it be granted
>    > that the following expression will always evaluate to true?
>
>    >   (if (and
>    >         (not (eq? s1 s2))
>    >         (equal? s1 s3))
>    >      (begin
>    >        (string-set! s2 0 #\x)
>    >        (equal? s1 s3))
>    >      #t)
>
>What about:
>
>    (if (and (not (eq? l1 l2))
>             (equal? l1 l3))
>        (begin
>          (set-car! l2 'x)
>          (equal? l1 l3))
>        #t)
>

>    > My assumption is that most users will assume the above expression to
>    > evaluate to true.
>
>When do they need to make such assumptions?   Why is it different from
>the case with lists?

First: It's not a matter of whether users *need* to make certain
assumptions: It's a matter of interface definition. Scheme defines the
string data type and together with it, it defines the semantics of
operations on it. This gives users a set of properties they *can* rely
on. Certainly, not all of the properties are *needed* in every piece of
code.

The difference with lists is, that lists are not _one_ object, but are
made of several objects. That is, there is no statement saying that two
different lists are independent of each other in the same way that two
strings are independent of each other.

>You say that the old implementation was flawed because it created
>_only_ shared mutation substrings.  I don't think that that's a very
>serious flaw.  In general, no procedure should mutate _any_ of its
>arguments unless it is advertised as doing so.  Consequently, I simply
>shouldn't hand a shared-mutation substring to a mutating procedure
>unless I intend for that mutation to effect all sharing strings.

No, I said that the old implementation was flawed because it changed the
semantics of the standard scheme string type. It is certainly all right
if someone wants to use something like shared mutation substrings, but
IMO this should be achieved with a different data type. It may be a good
idea to provide a library for this kind of feature, but it should not
modify scheme's standard string type. Who operates on strings should be
allowed to make all assumptions about string behaviour that belong to
the definition of the string data type.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann