* Translating Guile documentation
@ 2022-04-23 22:24 Denys Nykula
From: Denys Nykula @ 2022-04-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello.

Have the Guile website and reference manual ever been translated to
languages other than English? If I would like to start translating them
to my primary language, Ukrainian, what should I know in advance?

If I understand correctly, for translation I need to clone:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile/guile-web.git/tree/website/apps/base
and
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=tree;f=doc/ref;hb=HEAD

Then I need to edit the SXML and Texinfo files, run make and upload the
result on my web server. My question is what are the recommendations for
those who try that and whether any guile i18n working group exists.

Somewhat related, please fix the links on the Learn page:

-http://www.cs.indiana.edu/scheme-repository/home.html
+https://legacy.cs.indiana.edu/ftp/scheme-repository/

-http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/341/99su/lectures/scheme/
+https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse341/99su/lectures/scheme/ppframe.htm

The last is very nice and simple, I think it should be higher in the page.

Denys

* Re: Translating Guile documentation
@ 2022-04-24  8:17 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-04-24  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Nykula, guile-devel

Denys Nykula schreef op zo 24-04-2022 om 01:24 [+0300]:
> Then I need to edit the SXML and Texinfo files, run make and upload the
> result on my web server. My question is what are the recommendations for
> those who try that and whether any guile i18n working group exists.

Guix uses po4a and https://translate.fedoraproject.org/, maybe Guile
can do the same?  I have not heard of any guile i18n group.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Translating Guile documentation
@ 2022-04-24 12:11 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2022-04-24 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Nykula; +Cc: guile-devel

Hello Denys.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 01:24:33AM +0300, Denys Nykula wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Have the Guile website and reference manual ever been translated to
> languages other than English? If I would like to start translating them
> to my primary language, Ukrainian, what should I know in advance?

You have a wonderful ambition there.

This reminds me of my attempts a long time ago to translate the copy
of r5rs that is shipped with Guile to German.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2018-04/msg00007.html

Nothing came of it and I don’t know if Guile’s documentation is stable
enough.  For example, at

https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2022/online-guix-days-2022-announcement-2/

there have been discussions about reworking part of the docs.  See there at

* 13:40–14:15: A Deep Dive into the Guile Documentation & Makeover Proposal

In hindsight, I would rather translate the SICP book

http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

(which already has been translated to German by Susanne
Daniels-Herold, but I think to no other language).  I’ve not checked
if there are more recent comparable books.  Of course, there are SRFIs
and Guile specifics beyond SICP, like (ice-9 match).

Regards,
Florian