From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
To: Denys Nykula <nykula@ukr.net>
Cc: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Translating Guile documentation
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:11:18 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Denys.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 01:24:33AM +0300, Denys Nykula wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Have the Guile website and reference manual ever been translated to
> languages other than English? If I would like to start translating them
> to my primary language, Ukrainian, what should I know in advance?

You have a wonderful ambition there.

This reminds me of my attempts a long time ago to translate the copy
of r5rs that is shipped with Guile to German.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2018-04/msg00007.html

Nothing came of it and I don’t know if Guile’s documentation is stable
enough.  For example, at

https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2022/online-guix-days-2022-announcement-2/

there have been discussions about reworking part of the docs.  See there at

* 13:40–14:15: A Deep Dive into the Guile Documentation & Makeover Proposal

In hindsight, I would rather translate the SICP book

http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

(which already has been translated to German by Susanne
Daniels-Herold, but I think to no other language).  I’ve not checked
if there are more recent comparable books.  Of course, there are SRFIs
and Guile specifics beyond SICP, like (ice-9 match).

Regards,
Florian