* GNU Guile-CV 0.3.0 release
@ 2021-11-08  4:30 David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2021-11-08  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, guile-devel, info-gnu

Hello,

GNU Guile-CV 0.3.0 is released.

This is a maintenance release, which allows Guile-CV to work with Guile
3.0 (>= 3.0.7 to be specific). In addition, im-transpose performance has
been improved.

The documentation has been restructured and follows the model we adopted
for [[http://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf][GNU G-Golf]]. The
/Configuring Guile's raised exception system/ section has been updated.
Make sure you carefully read and apply the proposed changes.

* About

[[http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-cv/][GNU Guile-CV]]
Image Processing and Analysis in
[[http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/][Guile]] a Computer Vision
functional programming library

Guile-CV is based on [[http://ukoethe.github.io/vigra/][Vigra]] (Vigra
(Vision with Generic Algorithms), enhanced with additional algorithms
(Image Textures, Delineate, Reconstruction and many more), all
accessible through a nice, clean and easy to use high level API.

Guile-CV is natively multi-threaded, and takes advantage of multiple
cores, using high-level and fine grained application-level parallelism
constructs available in Guile, based on its support to POSIX threads.

* Download

Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature [fn:1]:

	http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guile-cv/guile-cv-0.3.0.tar.gz
	http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guile-cv/guile-cv-0.3.0.tar.gz.sig

This released was bootstrapped with the following tools:

	-] gcc              (Debian 11.2.0-10) 11.2.0
	-] autoconf         (GNU Autoconf) 2.71
	-] automake         (GNU automake) 1.16.5
	-] libtool          (GNU libtool) 2.4.6
	-] makeinfo         (GNU texinfo) 6.8
	-] pdflatex         3.141592653-2.6-1.40.22 (TeX Live	2022/dev/Debian)
	-] vigra	    1.11.0
	-] vigra_c	    commit e81e12a [Sep 2019]
	-] guile-3.0        3.0.7.46-1f0e3
	-] guile-lib-1.0    0.2.7

* Changes since 0.2.1

Here is a summary of visible changes since version 0.2.1. See GNU
Guile-CV's [[http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile-cv.git][git
summary]] and [[http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile-cv.git/log/][git
log]] for a complete description.

** Dependencies

Guile-CV allows Guile 3.0 (>= 3.0.7 to be specific). The minimal 2.0
version is now 2.0.14

	[[http://www.gnu.org/software/guile][Guile]]	 	>=
	2.0.14 [allows 2.2, 3.0 (>= 3.0.7)]

The makeinfo program dependency is now version 6.6.

	Makeinfo	>= 6.6

** Performance improvements

im-transpose
im-transpose-channel

  The f32vector-transpose core functionality has been moved to
  libguile-cv. Note that all memory allocation - except for some local
  variables - still is being performed in scheme.

  This makes im-tranpose work 22x faster. Because all memory allocation
  still is done in scheme, and not in C, I am very comfortable with this
  approach. When Guile has an AOT compiler that compiles fixed size
  floating points and small integers operations and vector loops for
  these that runs as fast as in C, and I am pretty confident that it will
  happen, maybe not tomorrow, but it will happen, we will revert these
  and use Guile Scheme again.

** Documentation

The documentation has been restructured and follows the model we adopted
for [[http://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf][GNU G-Golf]]. The
/Configuring Guile's raised exception system/ section has been updated.
Make sure you carefully read and apply the proposed changes.

* Bug reports

Please report bugs to bug-guile-cv@gnu.org

* Mailing lists

For the time being, Guile-CV uses Guile's mailing list:

  guile-user@gnu.org is for general user help and discussion;

  guile-devel@gnu.org is used to discuss most aspects of Guile-CV,
  including development and enhancement requests.

David

[fn:1]

  Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
  .sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
  and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

	gpg --verify guile-cv-0.3.0.tar.gz.sig

  If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
  then run this command to import it:

	gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys A3057AD7

  and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command