* Implementing Guile with a Windows port
       [not found] <1994873807.737861.1633780908082.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2021-10-09 12:01 ` Andrew Goh
From: Andrew Goh @ 2021-10-09 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel@gnu.org

Hello everybody,
I was wondering if the GNU Guile development team had thought of implementing a GNU Guile version for Microsoft Windows operating systems (Win 10, 11), to be used as a plug-in on JetBrains Intellij IDEA Ultimate, Community IDE and the VS Code IDE.
Regards,

--- Andrew Goh

* Re: Implementing Guile with a Windows port
@ 2021-10-09 18:10   ` Taylan Kammer
From: Taylan Kammer @ 2021-10-09 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Goh, guile-devel@gnu.org

On 09.10.2021 14:01, Andrew Goh wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I was wondering if the GNU Guile development team had thought of implementing a GNU Guile version for Microsoft Windows operating systems (Win 10, 11), to be used as a plug-in on JetBrains Intellij IDEA Ultimate, Community IDE and the VS Code IDE.
>
> Regards,
>

> --- Andrew Goh

Hi Andrew,

I can't speak for the developers, but as far as I can tell, there isn't the
right combination of willingness and resources to support a native port of
GNU Guile for MS Windows.

As far as I know, there's a MinGW port, but if I'm not mistaken it's partly
neglected and not as feature-rich as the "normal" GNU/Linux version.

--
Taylan

* Re: Implementing Guile with a Windows port
@ 2021-10-09 18:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-10-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Kammer; +Cc: andrewgoh95, guile-devel

> From: Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 20:10:15 +0200
>
> I can't speak for the developers, but as far as I can tell, there isn't the
> right combination of willingness and resources to support a native port of
> GNU Guile for MS Windows.
>
> As far as I know, there's a MinGW port, but if I'm not mistaken it's partly
> neglected and not as feature-rich as the "normal" GNU/Linux version.

A MinGW port of Guile 2.0.11 can be found on the ezwinports site.
AFAIK, the only feature it omits is threads, because Guile built with
threads is broken on MS-Windows.

* Re: Implementing Guile with a Windows port
@ 2021-10-10  1:02       ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2021-10-10  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: andrewgoh95, guile-devel

Le Sat, 09 Oct 2021 21:32:23 +0300,
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> a écrit :

> > From: Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 20:10:15 +0200
> >
> > I can't speak for the developers, but as far as I can tell, there
> > isn't the right combination of willingness and resources to support
> > a native port of GNU Guile for MS Windows.
> >
> > As far as I know, there's a MinGW port, but if I'm not mistaken
> > it's partly neglected and not as feature-rich as the "normal"
> > GNU/Linux version.
>
> A MinGW port of Guile 2.0.11 can be found on the ezwinports site.
> AFAIK, the only feature it omits is threads, because Guile built with
> threads is broken on MS-Windows.

Fwiw, when I need to, I use msys2:

	https://www.msys2.org/

	https://packages.msys2.org/search?t=binpkg&q=guile
	=>
		Package		Version
		guile		2.2.7-1
		libguile		2.2.7-1
		libguile-devel	2.2.7-1

Not sure it has all 'native' features, but it has threads.

hth,
David

* Re: Implementing Guile with a Windows port
@ 2021-10-10  6:29         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-10-10  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: andrewgoh95, guile-devel

> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 22:02:06 -0300
> From: David Pirotte <david@altosw.be>
> Cc: Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com>, andrewgoh95@yahoo.com.sg,
>  guile-devel@gnu.org
>
> Le Sat, 09 Oct 2021 21:32:23 +0300,
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> a écrit :
>
> > A MinGW port of Guile 2.0.11 can be found on the ezwinports site.
> > AFAIK, the only feature it omits is threads, because Guile built with
> > threads is broken on MS-Windows.
>
> Fwiw, when I need to, I use msys2:
>
> 	https://www.msys2.org/
>
> 	https://packages.msys2.org/search?t=binpkg&q=guile
> 	=>
> 		Package		Version
> 		guile		2.2.7-1
> 		libguile		2.2.7-1
> 		libguile-devel	2.2.7-1

That's not a native MS-Windows program, its behavior differs from
native programs in subtle ways.  If that doesn't bother the OP, then
it's fine to use it.  But you cannot, for example, use libguile from
that distribution to build a MinGW port of GDB or GNU Make with Guile
support, because that libguile can only be linked into MSYS2
executables.  So once you start using that library, you are locked
into MSYS2 applications and cannot escape into native MS-Windows
applications produced by MinGW.

* Re: Implementing Guile with a Windows port
@ 2021-10-10 16:25       ` Jonas Hahnfeld via Developers list for Guile, the GNU extensibility library
From: Jonas Hahnfeld via Developers list for Guile, the GNU extensibility library @ 2021-10-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Taylan Kammer; +Cc: andrewgoh95, guile-devel