On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 12:31:09PM +0200, Taylan Kammer wrote: > On 06.08.2021 16:33, Vijay Marupudi wrote: > > Hello! > > > > I was curious if Guile would be willing to provide a series of > > new procedures for resizing contiguous memory regions. [...] > Sounds like a good idea to me. I didn't know realloc() was a > thing in C (I don't write much C) and I suppose it's not possible > to implement equivalent functionality with equivalent performance > purely in Scheme. > > I'm on vacation for the next three weeks and will try to write a > patch to implement this if no one beats me to it. :-) > > One consideration is how this should behave in the case of > bytevectors that were created from an FFI pointer [...] Hm. I don't understand. Realloc /may/ return a different pointer from the one it receives, for example if there isn't enough room "beyond" the currently allocated. It will copy over the contents, but if someone is holding a pointer to the old area (as I understand you, this will be the case with an FFI pointer), this isn't going to end well... And then there is the constraint that the (original) pointer passed to realloc /must/ be one returned by one of the malloc family (how would the allocator know the original size otherwise?) Cheers - t