From: David Pirotte <david@altosw.be>
To: Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com>
Cc: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: GObject Introspection and GTK3 way forward
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 19:07:11 -0300	[thread overview]

Hello Mike,

	sorry I didn't answer your previous email yet, but my laptop refused to work
	little after I did read it, and it took me almost two days to get it back...

> So, I've decided to make a go at finishing the GObject Introspection
> and GTK3 story for Guile.  I would very much like to have something
> running in time for Fosdem 2019.

Even getting back to work on G-Golf 'proper', I'm not sure I could match that
schedule, so I understand your approach, no problem.

> The former is beautiful code, the sort of code that you'd hope would
> be able to solve the problem, but, I think the road to a beta release
> doing things "properly" might take a long time.

Thanks for the nice words. Yes, I really want to do things 'properly', and yes, it
takes an awful lots of time ... but that is my objective...

> But since I need something running in a couple of months, I'm going to
> port PyGObject to Guile.  PyGObject is complex and full of special
> cases, which leads me to believe that a proper Guile binding also
> would need to be so.  Though PyGObject is complex, porting PyGObject
> to Guile, however, looks comparatively straightforward.

If I were you, I'd try to run and use sbank:

	 https://github.com/rotty/sbank.git

	[ even though itis a bit old and will need some love, it's retty well
	[ written and is in schee already ...

t needs SPE - "This is SPE, a small set of scripts to make it easier to do
multi-implementation development of R6RS libraries.", which used to be here

	http://rotty.yi.org/software/spe/

That url is not active anymore, if you go that route, let me know, I have a copy and
could send you a tarball (i's a small

David