Kevin Ryde wrote: > I'm looking at the text below to expand what's in the guile reference > manual for gettext. You can also use text from my original proposal (attached). It has the merit of explaining the terms (domain, category, ...) that are used in the refman. Also it contains complete workable examples. (You need to change the set! notation to the optional-argument notation that is used in guile, though.) > I'm a bit unsure about bind-textdomain-codeset. Thinking about it, if > Guile gets its own notion of coding systems or whatever in the future > then I'm wondering if that function might become obsolete, or even > actively harmful. When that happens, the bind-textdomain-codeset function should become a nop. > It does some good now, but maybe some strong > warning against possible future change is needed. But since in the present this function is _necessary_, I don't think it's useful to make people doubt whether they should use it or not. When bind-textdomain-codeset is no longer needed, you can easily make the compiler emit a warning when it's used. Bruno