From: "Jeff Read" <bitwize@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Parott
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:40:21 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 09:49:53AM -0600, Bill Gribble wrote:

> That sounds like a pretty good idea to me; it would be nice to get some
> synergy from the Perl folks, and it seems like with a common bytecode
> backend there could be some very nice interoperation potentials (i.e.
> guile having a perl evaluator or some craziness like that).  Maybe this
> is more of a practical direction to achieve the Guile dream of multiple
> extension language syntaxes, too (not sure exactly how or if it relates,
> but it seems like a possibility).

If synergy with other developers and multi-language compatibility is what you're after, then the logical choice would be Microsoft .NET CLR. :)

*ducks, runs, and hides*

Seriously, I think a Parrot VM target would be a good idea, but I'd like to keep the option of native compilation open. Then it would be possible to write Scheme programs that run fast, and don't have the overhead of a JIT.
--
Jeffrey T. Read
"I fight not for me but the blind babe Justice!" --Galford