* Guile Potluck 2021
       [not found] <be71b3d5db9c43723c749f108dbd1ada7785daf2.camel.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2021-02-18 17:24 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2021-02-18 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, guile-devel

Hello All-

In celebration of the (slightly belated) 10-year anniversary of Guile
v2.0, we're having another Guile Potluck!  The Guile Potluck is a
randomly annual event to give people a chance to show off their Guile
projects and skills.  Think of it as a game jam, but, not constrained
to games.

To participate, on or before Mar 6, send an email to guile-user@gnu.org
with instructions on how to find your entry, which could be anything
you like.  For example,

   - a script showing off some feature of Guile or your favorite Guile
   library
   - a blog post describing something interesting about Guile
   - an updated release of a neglected library
   - a mini-game
   - a graphical or audio demoscene-type demo

There probably won't be any prizes.  But there will definitely be an e-
mail and blog post about the entries.

If you think you might attempt to participate, please reply to this e-
mail so I can gauge the feasibility of some sort of participation swag.

Regards,
Mike Gran, on behalf of the Guile team

* Re: Guile Potluck 2021
@ 2021-02-20 17:38   ` Alex Sassmannshausen
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2021-02-20 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Hi Mike,

Great to see you organise to continue this  hallowed tradition! :-)

I would love to participate by cheating a little and submitting a new
release of Guile Hall, which is overdue and should happen between 1 and
6 March.

Best wishes,

Alex

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello All-
>
> In celebration of the (slightly belated) 10-year anniversary of Guile
> v2.0, we're having another Guile Potluck!  The Guile Potluck is a
> randomly annual event to give people a chance to show off their Guile
> projects and skills.  Think of it as a game jam, but, not constrained
> to games.
>
> To participate, on or before Mar 6, send an email to guile-user@gnu.org
> with instructions on how to find your entry, which could be anything
> you like.  For example,
>
>    - a script showing off some feature of Guile or your favorite Guile
>    library
>    - a blog post describing something interesting about Guile
>    - an updated release of a neglected library
>    - a mini-game
>    - a graphical or audio demoscene-type demo
>
> There probably won't be any prizes.  But there will definitely be an e-
> mail and blog post about the entries.
>
> If you think you might attempt to participate, please reply to this e-
> mail so I can gauge the feasibility of some sort of participation swag.
>
> Regards,
> Mike Gran, on behalf of the Guile team

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guile Potluck 2021
@ 2021-02-21 14:20     ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-02-21 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.sassmannshausen; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> writes:

> I would love to participate by cheating a little and submitting a new
> release of Guile Hall, which is overdue and should happen between 1 and
> 6 March.

\o/

thank you!

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guile Potluck 2021
@ 2021-02-21 17:21   ` Daniel Tornabene
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Tornabene @ 2021-02-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

I have something I can drop for the potluck as well if this ends up
happening

@ 2021-02-22  5:59   ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2021-02-22  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Thank you Mike!

I should have waited to release guile-oauth with the OAuth2 support :-).
But if that counts...

Also planning to release guile-redis with redis 6.2 support when they make
a release (they are in RC3), but I might do it sooner.

Best,

Aleix

@ 2021-02-26 23:19     ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2021-02-26 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

In case it was not clear:

guile-oauth 1.0.0 with OAuth2 support: https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-oauth
guile-redis 2.1.0 with Redis 6.2.0 commands:
https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-redis

Aleix

@ 2021-02-27  1:08       ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2021-02-27  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

On Fri, 2021-02-26 at 15:19 -0800, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué wrote:
> In case it was not clear:
>
> guile-oauth 1.0.0 with OAuth2 support:
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-oauth
> guile-redis 2.1.0 with Redis 6.2.0 commands:
> https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-redis
>
> Aleix

Awesome. Thanks! Look forward to checking it out.

@ 2021-02-27  9:39         ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-02-27  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué, guile-user, guile-devel

I’d like to contribute a basic implementation of the Web of Trust in
Freenet that provides spam-detection without centralized control:

https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/wispwot/browse/wispwot/wispwot.scm

Currently this takes 70s to calculate aggregated trust scores on 300k
trust edges.

I hope to get this faster and would love if someone would want to try
to golf its runtime down :-)

Best wishes,
Arne

@ 2021-02-27 10:14           ` Linus Björnstam
From: Linus Björnstam @ 2021-02-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

I had a look and there is quite a lot you can do. Just out of curiosity: how much is GC time? You are generating a lot of intermediate data. Instead of vector-append! maybe use something like the new vectorlist srfi? If you show me a flame graph and give me some test data I can have a go!

--
  Linus Björnstam

* Re: Guile Potluck 2021
@ 2021-02-27 16:42             ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-02-27 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Björnstam; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Hi Linus,

Linus Björnstam <linus.bjornstam@veryfast.biz> writes:
> I had a look and there is quite a lot you can do. Just out of
> curiosity: how much is GC time? You are generating a lot of
> intermediate data. Instead of vector-append! maybe use something like
> the new vectorlist srfi? If you show me a flame graph and give me some
> test data I can have a go!

Thank you!

I expect GC time to be roughly half during the trust calculation (much
more during import), because this fills up two cores.

I can’t easily give you a flame graph (except if you can tell me how to
generate it), but I now pushed a version in pure Scheme (instead of
wisp) that runs a huge test:

hg clone https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/wispwot
cd wispwot
./run-wispwot.scm --test

This imports 200k trust edges (which takes a lot of time) and then does
three full trust calculations (which each take around 70s).

The most important limitation for optimization is that the memory use
must stay reasonable with 64k IDs which each have 1000 trust edges. This
memory use is what the current code is optimized for (that’s why there
are all those u8vectors and u16vectors).

For the math: at 64 million trust edges, this should currently require
(in theory) less than 200MiB of memory for the actual trust structure (2
byte for the id, 1 byte for the trust).

Going up to 300MiB for time-optimization would still be viable, but it
shouldn’t go beyond that (there are algorithmic options to reduce the
amount of work done per update, so the runtime of the current code is
important but it is not a life-and-death situation).

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guile Potluck 2021
@ 2021-02-27 16:43               ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-02-27 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Björnstam; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

PS: Still it is important to get this code fast, because it is the
    fallback for all situations where I cannot cheat and only calculate
    a subset of the trust, and it is required at startup.

--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guile Potluck 2021
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-01 11:34   ` pukkamustard
From: pukkamustard @ 2021-03-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Hi,

I'd like to contribute an initial version of guile-cbor (v0.1.0)
to the
potluck:

https://inqlab.net/git/guile-cbor.git/

The Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR), as specified by
RFC
8949, is a binary data serialization format. CBOR is similar to
JSON but
serializes to binary which is smaller and faster to generate and
parse.

guile-cbor provides a Guile implementation of CBOR.

Happy hacking!
pukkamustard

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello All-
>
> In celebration of the (slightly belated) 10-year anniversary of
> Guile
> v2.0, we're having another Guile Potluck!  The Guile Potluck is
> randomly annual event to give people a chance to show off their
> Guile
> projects and skills.  Think of it as a game jam, but, not
> constrained
> to games.
>
> To participate, on or before Mar 6, send an email to
> guile-user@gnu.org
> with instructions on how to find your entry, which could be
> anything
> you like.  For example,
>
>    - a script showing off some feature of Guile or your favorite
>    Guile
>    library
>    - a blog post describing something interesting about Guile
>    - an updated release of a neglected library
>    - a mini-game
>    - a graphical or audio demoscene-type demo
>
> There probably won't be any prizes.  But there will definitely
> be an e-
> mail and blog post about the entries.
>
> If you think you might attempt to participate, please reply to
> this e-
> mail so I can gauge the feasibility of some sort of
> participation swag.
>
> Regards,
> Mike Gran, on behalf of the Guile team

* Re: Guile Potluck 2021
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-01 21:14   ` Linus Björnstam
From: Linus Björnstam @ 2021-03-01 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran, guile-user, guile-devel

Hi Guilers!

I found some code I wrote while drunk. I had completely forgotten about it, but found it a fun little exercise. I would argue that falls under the "neglected library" category.

Anyway: It implements python-style generators, with yield and, more importantly, yield-from:

https://git.sr.ht/~bjoli/awesome-coroutine-generators

I tried to extend it while sober. It didn't work, so be warned  I guess. The code is somewhat a mess, but short enough to be understandable.
Best regards
  Linus Björnstam

@ 2021-03-01 21:37     ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2021-03-01 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Björnstam; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 1:15 PM Linus Björnstam
<linus.internet@fastmail.se> wrote:

> Hi Guilers!
>
> I found some code I wrote while drunk. I had completely forgotten about it, but found it a fun little exercise. I would argue that falls under the "neglected library" category.
>
> Anyway: It implements python-style generators, with yield and, more importantly, yield-from:
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~bjoli/awesome-coroutine-generators
>
> I tried to extend it while sober. It didn't work, so be warned  I guess.

You know what to do then :-D.

@ 2021-03-02  0:43       ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-03-02  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: guile-user, Linus Björnstam, guile-devel

Hi Guilers,

There’s one more thing for the Potluck:

I started doing some code-catas in Guile wisp:
https://www.draketo.de/software/wisp-code-katas

Liebe Grüße,
Arne
--