* shared substring as scm_tc7_string opinion
       [not found]                           ` <87eku7fthw.fsf@zip.com.au>
@ 2004-01-16 10:36                             ` Roland Orre
From: Roland Orre @ 2004-01-16 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Dear Kevin and Dirk,
As I understand you are the developers responsible for shared
substrings.

I'm writing to you directly because the guile lists seems to be down
at the moment (or are the lists moderated?).

I have problems as I'm trying to adapt to guile 1.7 but I found tonight
that make-shared-substring and tag scm_tc7_substring have been removed.

Shared substrings are so fundamental so it is not possible to replace
them with a trivial program change.

To be able to continue with guile 1.7 at all, until the new promised
shared substrings are available I have to do something. The easiest
way as I see it is to implement make-shared-substring as returning
an scm_tc7_string which I do scm_gc_protect_object on until I'm
ready with them and then can explicitly deallocate them. I need to do
this today and would be glad for a quick opinion about this.

	Best regards
	Roland Orre

* Re: shared substring as scm_tc7_string opinion
@ 2004-01-16 21:33                               ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-01-16 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Roland Orre <orre@nada.kth.se> writes:

> Dear Kevin and Dirk,
> As I understand you are the developers responsible for shared
> substrings.

No, not me, I can't take the blame for that one.

> I'm writing to you directly because the guile lists seems to be down
> at the moment (or are the lists moderated?).

Just slow, probably.