* Interested in working on a parser generator
@ 2003-08-26  0:02 John Stracke
From: John Stracke @ 2003-08-26  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

The FSF's help-wanted page says that a parser generator that generates
Scheme would be a welcome utility, for creating Foo-->Scheme
translators.  I'd be interested in working on such a project; is anybody
working on one already?

I should mention that, although I have substantial experience using
parser generators at my day job, my Scheme experience is minimal (though
I have been using elisp for a long time :-).  I fully expect to have to
throw away my first attempt.

|John Stracke        | http://www.thibault.org |HTML OK         |
|Francois Thibault   |==========================================|
|East Kingdom        |"Where's your sense of adventure?" "Hiding|
|francis@thibault.org|under the bed."                           |
My medieval art for sale: http://www.thibault.org/store/

* Re: Interested in working on a parser generator
@ 2003-09-02 23:26 ` Lynn Winebarger
From: Lynn Winebarger @ 2003-09-02 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Stracke wrote:
> The FSF's help-wanted page says that a parser generator that generates
> Scheme would be a welcome utility, for creating Foo-->Scheme
> translators.  I'd be interested in working on such a project; is anybody
> working on one already?

     I wrote the core of a scanner generator this weekend that I could
donate.  It produces a DFA as a big letrec with tail-recursive functions
for the states.
     Plus it allows you to insert actions with arbitrary scheme code and gives you
access to the fail and success continuations, even after conversion
to a dfa (though it does mean the search is breadth-first instead
of depth-first, so you would have to keep track of things with that
in mind).
     It doesn't have much in the way of error-handling, and contains
some Chezisms (generic ports and record-case).  Also, it only handles
pre-parsed regular expressions.
     Still, I'm pretty stoked about it.  What do I need to do to submit it?

     I also have some macros to convert a (pre-parsed) regular expression
to a big closure that just does backtracking, if that's of any interest.

Lynn

* Re: Interested in working on a parser generator
@ 2003-09-03 23:52   ` Clinton Ebadi
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2003-09-03 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Interested in working on a parser generator
@ 2003-09-12 23:19     ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2003-09-12 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, Lynn Winebarger

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> so it could be a while before anyone would get you the papers to
> assign copyright to the FSF.

This, at least, can be handled independently by emailing the right
people.  I believe the address is probably assign@gnu.org.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu