all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-19 14:17 orium
From: orium @ 2008-03-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, everybody.

I am using emacs 22.1, in GNU/Linux, with gtk.

I have cua enabled and when I copy something with C-c i can only paste
it inside emacs, if i want to use the copied text outside emacs I have
to copy the text through the menu bar->edit.

Thanks

* Re: CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-19 14:56 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orium; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.03.2008 um 15:17 schrieb orium:

> I have cua enabled and when I copy something with C-c i can only paste
> it inside emacs, if i want to use the copied text outside emacs I have
> to copy the text through the menu bar->edit.

So bind C-c i to that function, clipboard-kill-ring-save!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish,
and you've depleted the lake.

* Re: CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-19 23:37 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2008-03-19 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orium; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

orium <orium69@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, everybody.
>
> I am using emacs 22.1, in GNU/Linux, with gtk.
>
> I have cua enabled and when I copy something with C-c i can only paste
> it inside emacs, if i want to use the copied text outside emacs I have
> to copy the text through the menu bar->edit.

What is the value of variable interprogram-cut-function ?

On my system, it is x-select-text - and it does the trick for me.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk

* Re: CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-20  3:12 ` David Golden
From: David Golden @ 2008-03-20  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

orium wrote:

> Hi, everybody.
>
> I am using emacs 22.1, in GNU/Linux, with gtk.
>
> I have cua enabled and when I copy something with C-c i can only paste
> it inside emacs, if i want to use the copied text outside emacs I have
> to copy the text through the menu bar->edit.
>
> Thanks

You might get partial relief by customizing variables
x-select-enable-clipboard and x-select-enable-primary in group killing.

If you e.g. set x-select-enable-clipboard, then you should at least be
able to insert with C-v in other apps (since emacs will actually be
sending to the clipboard).   Unfortunately, if you do set that,
particularly if you use the mouse, you might find the clipboard gets
immediately overwritten a lot, so also set mouse-drag-copy-region to
nil - but that means that highlight/middlebutton insertion, if you use
it, won't work quite as expected. Ho hum...

It's actually technically impossible to get exactly
relevant-standards-compliant clipboard behaviour from an unpatched GNU
Emacs on a modern linux/freedesktop.org desktop:  emacs just handles
the "clipboard" vs. "primary" X selections strangely no matter what you
do. However, there is an experimental patch that expands emacs to
include the standard behaviour as well as all existing possibilities
and renders the customization interface rather more sane - but not sure
it applies cleanly to current CVS, sorry (I should verify/update it I
guess):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg01403.html

* Re: CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-20  9:48   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-03-20  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Golden <david.golden@oceanfree.net> writes:

> there is an experimental patch that expands emacs to include the
> standard behaviour as well as all existing possibilities

Does this mean that Emacs's standard mouse facilities can finally
emulate `mouse-sel-mode'?:

    - Selecting sets the region & X primary selection, but does NOT
    affect the `kill-ring', nor do the kill-ring functions change the X
    selection.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-20 17:55     ` David Golden
From: David Golden @ 2008-03-20 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Johan Bockgård wrote:

> David Golden <david.golden@oceanfree.net> writes:
>
>> there is an experimental patch that expands emacs to include the
>> standard behaviour as well as all existing possibilities
>
> Does this mean that Emacs's standard mouse facilities can finally
> emulate `mouse-sel-mode'?:
>
>     - Selecting sets the region & X primary selection, but does NOT
>     affect the `kill-ring', nor do the kill-ring functions change the
>     X selection.

Basically yes, but there are other issues - mouse-sel-mode really only
deals with mouse interactions (at least last I checked). There is some
functional overlap with mouse-sel-mode alright, but mouse-sel-mode e.g.
doesn't make the /set via keyboard/ [transient-mark] regions set the
primary X selection, patch does (reasonably reliably through an idle
timer trick).

(Also, of course you probably want explicit kill ring functions changing
_an_ X selection, the clipboard one, just not the primary one).

* Re: CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-20 23:25       ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-03-20 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Golden <david.golden@oceanfree.net> writes:

> There is some functional overlap with mouse-sel-mode alright, but
> mouse-sel-mode e.g.  doesn't make the /set via keyboard/
> [transient-mark] regions set the primary X selection, patch does
> (reasonably reliably through an idle timer trick).

I don't have a need for this.

> (Also, of course you probably want explicit kill ring functions changing
> _an_ X selection, the clipboard one, just not the primary one).

No, I don't want the kill ring to interact with the outside world at
all (like emacs -nw).

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: CUA and other applications
@ 2008-03-20 23:38         ` David Golden
From: David Golden @ 2008-03-20 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Johan Bockgård wrote:

> I don't have a need for this.

Shrug. Still, when you keyboard-select in most X apps, it becomes
primary just like with the mouse.

> No, I don't want the kill ring to interact with the outside world at
> all (like emacs -nw).

Patch allows that too, if you want it - and it allows it to be different
for mouse vs. keyboard vs. menu/toolbar (menu/toolbar are not
distinguished, existing emacs toolbar architecture keys off the menu
for whatever reason).