all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hideshow/java
@ 2002-12-10 18:58 Benjamin Lewis
From: Benjamin Lewis @ 2002-12-10 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone happen to know if there is anything out there like hideshow.el
but that works properly with java when one uses an aligned parenthesis
coding style?

e.g. a style like

for (whatever)
{
  some code;
  more code;
}

(Actually, I seem to recall older versions of hideshow working, so perhaps
I'll try to get one of these working if I can't find anything else).

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving.  It's eating that's believing.
                -- James Thurber

* Re: hideshow/java
@ 2002-12-11 10:16 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-11 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> Does anyone happen to know if there is anything out there like hideshow.el
> but that works properly with java when one uses an aligned parenthesis
> coding style?
>
> e.g. a style like
>
> for (whatever)
> {
>   some code;
>   more code;
> }
>
> (Actually, I seem to recall older versions of hideshow working, so perhaps
> I'll try to get one of these working if I can't find anything else).

What happens if you do M-x hs-hide-block RET or whatever it is that
you need to do?

* Re: hideshow/java
@ 2002-12-11 21:45   ` Benjamin Lewis
From: Benjamin Lewis @ 2002-12-11 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>
>> Does anyone happen to know if there is anything out there like
>> hideshow.el but that works properly with java when one uses an aligned
>> parenthesis coding style?
>>
>> e.g. a style like
>>
>> for (whatever)
>> {
>>   some code;
>>   more code;
>> }
>>
>> (Actually, I seem to recall older versions of hideshow working, so
>> perhaps I'll try to get one of these working if I can't find anything
>> else).
>
> What happens if you do M-x hs-hide-block RET or whatever it is that
> you need to do?

Hiding blocks works fine.  I think showing blocks generally works fine as
well.  The main problem is with toggling blocks; if I try to toggle a
hidden block, it ends up hiding the entire class (even though I've set it
up so that a "hide all" only hides the methods in the class).

Hmmm... maybe if I got used to hiding and showing with the keyboard only it
wouldn't be such a problem.  I'll have to find something nicer to bind the
hide/show functions to though; C-c @ C-h is pretty unwieldy.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
 over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening

* Re: hideshow/java
@ 2002-12-12 23:37     ` Knut Forkalsrud
From: Knut Forkalsrud @ 2002-12-12 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a fairly basic feature called set-selective-display which is
bound to `C-x $'.  Let me quote from the manual:

   "To hide lines, type `C-x $' (`set-selective-display') with a
   numeric argument N.  Then lines with at least N columns of
   indentation disappear from the screen.  The only indication of
   their presence is that three dots (`...') appear at the end of each
   visible line that is followed by one or more hidden ones."

It's simple, but it might work surprisingly well.

-Knut

--
Hard work often pays off after time.  But laziness always pays off now.

* Re: hideshow/java
@ 2002-12-13  2:19       ` Benjamin Lewis
From: Benjamin Lewis @ 2002-12-13  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Knut Forkalsrud wrote:

> There is a fairly basic feature called set-selective-display which is
> bound to `C-x $'.  Let me quote from the manual:
>
> "To hide lines, type `C-x $' (`set-selective-display') with a
> numeric argument N.  Then lines with at least N columns of
> indentation disappear from the screen.  The only indication of
> their presence is that three dots (`...') appear at the end of each
> visible line that is followed by one or more hidden ones."
>
> It's simple, but it might work surprisingly well.

Looks useful, but for java I really want the hideshow
functionality. (e.g. I want to be able to hide all methods except for the
ones I'm working on).

--
Benjamin Lewis

Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on society.
- Mark Twain

* Re: hideshow/java
@ 2002-12-13 16:50         ` Jim Crossley
From: Jim Crossley @ 2002-12-13 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> Looks useful, but for java I really want the hideshow
> functionality. (e.g. I want to be able to hide all methods except for the
> ones I'm working on).

Have you looked at the ECB (Emacs Code Browser)?  It can be configured
similarly to what you describe, and it has other neat features as
well.

See http://ecb.sourceforge.net

-- Jim

* Re: hideshow/java
@ 2002-12-13 18:13           ` Benjamin Lewis
From: Benjamin Lewis @ 2002-12-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Dec 2002, Jim Crossley wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>
>> Looks useful, but for java I really want the hideshow
>> functionality. (e.g. I want to be able to hide all methods except for
>> the ones I'm working on).
>
> Have you looked at the ECB (Emacs Code Browser)?  It can be configured
> similarly to what you describe, and it has other neat features as
> well.
>
> See http://ecb.sourceforge.net

Nope, haven't seen it before.  Looks worth checking out; thanks for the
heads-up.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Now is the time for all good men to come to.
                -- Walt Kelly