all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Include guards
@ 2010-07-08 17:49 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-07-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I don't understand the removal of some of the include guards in revno
100751: the "#ifdef ..." guards were removed, but they are still used
and/or defined by src/config.h.

Examples:

  . "#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H" was removed from bidi.c, but
    src/Makefile.in still puts -DHAVE_CONFIG_H into the compilation
    command line.  Moreover, some source files still use it.

  . "#ifdef HAVE_STRING_H" was removed, but src/config.h still uses
    it.

What am I missing here?  What is the plan regarding these guards?

* Re: Include guards
@ 2010-07-08 18:48 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-07-08 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I don't understand the removal of some of the include guards in revno
> 100751: the "#ifdef ..." guards were removed, but they are still used
> and/or defined by src/config.h.
>
> Examples:
>
>   . "#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H" was removed from bidi.c, but
>     src/Makefile.in still puts -DHAVE_CONFIG_H into the compilation
>     command line.  Moreover, some source files still use it.

Those are files that are imported from gnulib, so we do not want to change them.
In the files that are just part of emacs #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H is just
noise, as we always have a config.h

>   . "#ifdef HAVE_STRING_H" was removed, but src/config.h still uses
>     it.

scroll.c has been including string.h unguarded for quite a while.  If
that was a problem on any supported platform, we would have heard about it.
So the include guard is not needed, better remove it.

* Re: Include guards
@ 2010-07-08 20:32   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-07-08 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:48:20 -0400
>
> >   . "#ifdef HAVE_STRING_H" was removed, but src/config.h still uses
> >     it.
>
> scroll.c has been including string.h unguarded for quite a while.  If
> that was a problem on any supported platform, we would have heard about it.
> So the include guard is not needed, better remove it.

OK, but then we should also remove it from config.in and configure.in.

* Re: Include guards
@ 2010-07-08 23:04     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-07-08 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org>
>> Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:48:20 -0400
>>
>> >   . "#ifdef HAVE_STRING_H" was removed, but src/config.h still uses
>> >     it.
>>
>> scroll.c has been including string.h unguarded for quite a while.  If
>> that was a problem on any supported platform, we would have heard about it.
>> So the include guard is not needed, better remove it.
>
> OK, but then we should also remove it from config.in and configure.in.

Sure, please go ahead...