dear developers, i use emacs and sometime i touch the code to improve it by my ideas, i like best use of topological visual meaning, so i'm introducing new fringe *active* basic face, (FRINGE_ACTIVE_FACE_ID as new and complement of FRINGE_FACE_ID) to permit more hilighting of current selected window, because mod_line_inactive_face_id and mode_line_face_id highlight the selected emacs window only in the bottom (of the void space) below the buffer. [fresh cvs patch is attached in two formats to the end of this mail] modification described above involves following changes: faces.el: added face fringe-active dispextern.h: added basic face FRINGE_ACTIVE_FACE_ID added macro CURRENT_FRINGE_FACE_ID(W): returns the FRINGE*_FACE_ID depending on window (selected/unselected) window.c: other-window call Fselect_window only if selected_window is effectively a new one it works, but must be done in a better way: xfaces.c: added lisp object Qfringe_active surprise because new call to realize_named_face with Qfringe_active parameter returns error (so call is introduced and commented) fringe.c: [confusion] left|right (_user)*1 _fringe_face_id uniformed to use CURRENT_FRINGE_FACE_ID(w) (depending on selected_window), was really needed the distinction(?) actually the hilight of fringe bars works as expected after window split and every recenter (c-l) (because ``recenter'' do a full frame redraw); i'd like to redraw the fringe face of selected and unselected windows only in the right time: i tkink ``other-window'' function -in my limited emacs knowledge p.o.view-, should have this effect: - reddaw selected_window fringe bars (i think seting ?...->redraw_fringe_bitmaps_p=1 is needed, related to selected_window) - after ``other-window`` determine the new window, prepare to redraw also it. and no need to redraw others (unchanged) windows. i think similar redraw heppen when mouse select a different window (area), are there other possible cases? the included patch contains even, for personal preference, the following changes: (i like tiny use of visual space) - fringe.c: i change some symbol to -my opinion- more appropriate (smaller and intuitive) bitmaps, and better relatively positioned. Notice: I create and use this bitmaps since fringe functionality was introduced in xdisp.c, in that time, it was not extensible. - xfns.c: modified for tiny scroll bar. - size reduction of emacs fringe (custom 'fringe-mode half) [my preference] - etc/TODO: "fringe bitmaps user configurable" DONE by Kim, (no need to be in TODO,.. or someone plan even more configurable?) - ibuffer.el desc long lines implies big column values, not "long columns"! Saluti, Marco Munari -- x(t),y(t) = th(3t-34.5)*e^[-(3t-34.5)^2]/2-4.3+e^(-1.8/t^2)/(.8*atg(t- 3)+2)(t-1.8)-.3th(5t-42.5),(1.4e^[-(3t-34.5)^2]+1-sgn[|t-8.5|-.5]*1.5* |sin(pi*t)|^[2e^(-(t-11.5)^2)+.5+e^(-(.6t-3.3)^2)])/(.5+t)+1 ; 0