all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* grep
@ 2003-04-14 23:13 Lars Kristiansson
From: Lars Kristiansson @ 2003-04-14 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw

How to grep in emacs for windows? Can one download the source to grep for
windows?
_Dr_Xem@cs__

M.v.h. Lasse Kristansson.

* Re: grep
       [not found] <mailman.4610.1050362510.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-15  7:12 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-15  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw

Lars Kristiansson <dr_xemacs@privat.utfors.se> writes:

> How to grep in emacs for windows? Can one download the source to grep for
> windows?

I'm sure that MSYS (from the MingW project, I think) is a useful
piece of software to have.  It contains grep, AFAIK.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

@ 2003-04-15 15:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-15 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw

Try http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/grep.html

and http://www.gnu.org/directory/grep.html

--

@ 2003-04-16 20:21 ` Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2003-04-16 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw

> How to grep in emacs for windows? Can one download the source to grep for
> windows?

This guy has done a extremely good job, compiling most of the basic
unix utilities to Windows NT (NT4, Windows 2000, Windows XP):

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

No dlls needed, it just works!

* grep
@ 2017-03-09  3:49 Fred Stanke
From: Fred Stanke @ 2017-03-09  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I have emacs installed at
C:\Applications\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe
It uses, *I believe*
c:/Users/Fred/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el

when I try to do a grep, I get this error:

-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "c:/Users/Fred/" -*-
Grep started at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54

grep -n the *.txt NUL
'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Grep exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54

What do I need to do to get grep to work.
(FYI: I  have deleted at least one Cygwin installation I had tried.)

* Re: grep
@ 2017-03-09  7:02 ` Danny YUE
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-09  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fred Stanke; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Just for mentioning another option if you need it:
Use M-x eshell which has a built-in grep facility.

Danny

@ 2017-03-09  7:59 ` Aleksandar Simić
From: Aleksandar Simić @ 2017-03-09  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> On 9 Mar 2017, at 03:49, Fred Stanke <stanke@primenanoinc.com> wrote:
>
> I have emacs installed at
> C:\Applications\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe
> It uses, *I believe*
> c:/Users/Fred/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el

To reassure yourself, run:

C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el

If it opens your config file, you're good. If not, you should move your config into that location.

> when I try to do a grep, I get this error:
>
> -*- mode: grep; default-directory: "c:/Users/Fred/" -*-
> Grep started at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54
>
> grep -n the *.txt NUL
> 'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Grep exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54
>
> What do I need to do to get grep to work.
> (FYI: I  have deleted at least one Cygwin installation I had tried.)

It looks like the command grep is not in your path.

To ensure that it is, open the terminal where you usually run grep from and type:

which grep

Note the path (if grep is installed).

Then in Emacs:

M-x eshell RET
which grep RET
echo $PATH RET

Check if grep is found in Eshell's path. If it isn't, you should add it.

Hope it helps
Aleksandar

* Re: grep
@ 2017-03-09  8:37 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-03-09  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Fred Stanke wrote:

> I have emacs installed at
> C:\Applications\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe It uses,
> *I believe*
> c:/Users/Fred/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el

Man, it actually looks like that?

Things sure have changed in my
cyberspace downtime!

                   - so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
                with: #moasen @ irc.freenode.net 6667

* Re: grep
@ 2017-03-09 11:04   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-03-09 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Danny YUE wrote:

> Just for mentioning another option if you
> need it: Use M-x eshell which has a built-in
> grep facility.

What about M-x shell RET and then plain /bin/grep ?

@ 2017-03-09 11:25     ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel, are you talking to me...?

The OP's problem might be caused by a incorrectly configured PATH,
which I can't help because I'm not familiar with Windows/Emacs.
However anyway EShell grep should work by default.

For those who may need to know:
In EShell if you just use "grep" in the command line, it invokes
built-in grep facility implemented by emacs lisp.

And if you want to use system grep, you need to specify it by a leading
star like "*grep".

See below eshell log:
~ $ which grep
eshell/grep is a compiled Lisp function in ‘em-unix.el’
~ $ which *grep
/bin/grep

@ 2017-03-09 11:54       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-03-09 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Danny YUE wrote:

> Emanuel, are you talking to me...?

Ha ha, straight out of a mob movie :)

> The OP's problem might be caused by
> a incorrectly configured PATH, which
> I can't help because I'm not familiar with
> Windows/Emacs.

Yeah, me neither, the OP is attacking this peak
from the north side at winter - step one is
getting to springy base camp which here
translates to acquiring a professional
system...

                   - so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
                with: #moasen @ irc.freenode.net 6667

* Re: grep
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-09 15:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-03-09 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Fred Stanke <stanke@primenanoinc.com>
> Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 03:49:12 +0000
> when I try to do a grep, I get this error:
>
> -*- mode: grep; default-directory: "c:/Users/Fred/" -*-
> Grep started at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54
>
> grep -n the *.txt NUL
> 'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Grep exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54
>
> What do I need to do to get grep to work.

You need to install grep.exe from one of the places it's available on
the net.  Put it in the same directory where you keep emacs.exe, or
some other directory on your PATH.

* RE: grep
@ 2017-03-09 16:08   ` Fred Stanke
From: Fred Stanke @ 2017-03-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw