all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Elisp: Generating Image Files
@ 2017-05-20  5:20 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2017-05-20  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Hi, is there a library for Emacs that would allow me to use elisp to
generate an image file? E.g. a function that takes an array of RBGA
color values and outputs a PNG file?

--
https://qlfiles.net

* Re: Elisp: Generating Image Files
@ 2017-05-20 14:37 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-20 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Howard wrote:

> Hi, is there a library for Emacs that would
> allow me to use elisp to generate an image
> file? E.g. a function that takes an array of
> RBGA color values and outputs a PNG file?

There is a chapter in the Elisp manual which
might help you, namely "Defining Images":

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Defining-Images.html

Also check out the parent section, "Images"!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Elisp: Generating Image Files
@ 2017-05-20 15:35   ` Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2017-05-20 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

But that chapter are only about loading and display images, as far as I
can tell. I want to generate the image itself.

@ 2017-05-20 20:33     ` Yuri Khan
       [not found]       ` <9b5d5f09-abcc-dc92-00bc-fb498a1f69c1@qlfiles.net>
From: Yuri Khan @ 2017-05-20 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Howard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 10:35 PM, Christopher Howard
<christopher.howard@qlfiles.net> wrote:
> But that chapter are only about loading and display images, as far as I
> can tell. I want to generate the image itself.

What larger goal do you want to achieve by generating an image?

The master branch contains a library named svg.el. You might be able
to use it, or just generate SVG text with a bunch of (insert)s.

@ 2017-05-22 17:50         ` Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2017-05-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

I see Emacs depends on libpng, which I believe has writing
functionality. Is there some way to interface with that through elisp?

@ 2017-05-26  9:52 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2017-05-26  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@qlfiles.net>
() Fri, 19 May 2017 21:20:01 -0800

   Hi, is there a library for Emacs that would allow me to use
   elisp to generate an image file? E.g. a function that takes
   an array of RBGA color values and outputs a PNG file?

I (wrote and) use xpm.el (et al):

 http://www.gnuvola.org/software/xpm/

You can generate XPM and convert to PNG (or any other format).
In the source repo, see flower.el for an example program (that
shows the Code Enhancement Opportunity that lies ahead.  :-D).

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen -----------------------------------------------
 (defun responsep (query)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Elisp: Generating Image Files
@ 2017-05-26 12:42   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-26 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> Code Enhancement Opportunity

I always wondered what CEO actually meant - and
this is surely a surprise, as those guys never
seemed to know anything about code!

--

@ 2017-05-26 12:50     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2017-05-26 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Elisp: Generating Image Files
@ 2017-05-26 20:46       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-26 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Code Enhancement Opportunity
>>
>> I always wondered what CEO actually meant -
>> and this is surely a surprise, as those guys
>> never seemed to know anything about code!
>
> When there's nothing, the enhancement
> opportunities are maximal (assuming
> a non-negative domain).

So where does that leave us after X years'
doing this? Answer: what is left is either too
difficult, or it is too big an effort to do.

After climbing Annapurna, some people feel
enriched their entire life. While others feel
cheated of their grail, knowing no coming
adventure or conquest will ever match it...

*sob*