all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus mail with zoho.com
@ 2017-04-22  9:20 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-04-22  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have an e-mail account on zoho.com and I have
set it up with Gnus. However, when I do:

    gnus-group-get-new-news

~nine out of ten times it says:

    Mail source (pop :user moasen :password ***
    pop.zoho.com :port 995) error (USER moasen
    not valid). Continue? (yes or no)

Here, it is unclear (to me) what the difference
between "yes" and "no" is. Because it would
seem news *always* works, and mail *never*
works when I get that question, with no other
difference noticable.

As for the error itself, it would appear an
incorrect diagnostic because the ~tenth time,
it *does* work and I do get the mail with no
complaints! So I end up hammering the fetch
command until it works - very annoying, indeed!

When I do get the message, after it says:

    Mail source (pop :user moasen :password XYZ
    :server pop.zoho.com :port 995) failed:
    (error Cannot get new mail)

I have tried to access the mail thru their web
interface, as well as their smartphone app,
with no problems.

"Ideas?"

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Gnus mail with zoho.com
@ 2017-04-22 15:14 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-04-22 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> I have an e-mail account on zoho.com and I have
> set it up with Gnus. However, when I do:
>
>     gnus-group-get-new-news
>
> ~nine out of ten times it says:
>
>     Mail source (pop :user moasen :password ***
>     pop.zoho.com :port 995) error (USER moasen
>     not valid). Continue? (yes or no)

I suppose the first thing to do would be to edebug
`mail-source-fetch-pop' and run through it -- at least that might give
you a more accurate view of what stage the error is coming from...

Eric

* Re: Gnus mail with zoho.com
@ 2017-04-22 23:23   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-04-22 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I suppose the first thing to do would be to
> edebug `mail-source-fetch-pop' and run
> through it -- at least that might give you
> a more accurate view of what stage the error
> is coming from...

I did (now) but don't know the debugger at all,
almost. My code never has any bugs, you see :)

It seems `c' will take you forward to the
strange question. Can I take the debugger one
step back from that point and somehow get the
current state?

Anyway, oddly enough, this very problem seems
to be related to the debugger! With

    (setq debug-on-error nil)

I do get the question, that is

    Mail source (pop :user moasen :password
    *** pop.zoho.com :port 995)
    error (USER moasen not valid). Continue?
    (yes or no)

but with

    (setq debug-on-error t)

I don't get the question, instead this message
just flickers by:

    Mail source (pop :user moasen :password xyz
    :server pop.zoho.com :port 995) failed:
    (error Cannot get new mail)

Even ignoring the counterintuitiveness of
that, it still doesn't seem to work, unless
I repeatedly try until I don't get the message
and do get the mail, if any.

This is so confusing at this point it might be
a configuration problem. But even that is
difficult to asses because the Gnus setup is
based on configuration. So the normal
'emacs -Q' to detect malconfiguration will
cripple all of Gnus.

Does anyone have a "minimal working example"
(in the LaTeX lingo) with only Gnus and POP and
nothing else to it?

--

@ 2017-04-23  0:21     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-04-23  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> I suppose the first thing to do would be to
>> edebug `mail-source-fetch-pop' and run
>> through it -- at least that might give you
>> a more accurate view of what stage the error
>> is coming from...
>
> I did (now) but don't know the debugger at all,
> almost. My code never has any bugs, you see :)

That must be nice :)

> It seems `c' will take you forward to the
> strange question. Can I take the debugger one
> step back from that point and somehow get the
> current state?

You can always read the manual! But very simply, <SPC> will move from
point to point, and show you the value of variables as you pass them. If
you want to evaluate arbitrary forms in the current context of the
function, use "e". If you want to skip ahead and continue evaluation
later in the function, move point and hit "h". I don't think you can go
backwards.

> Anyway, oddly enough, this very problem seems
> to be related to the debugger! With
>
>     (setq debug-on-error nil)
>
> I do get the question, that is
>
>     Mail source (pop :user moasen :password
>     *** pop.zoho.com :port 995)
>     error (USER moasen not valid). Continue?
>     (yes or no)
>
> but with
>
>     (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> I don't get the question, instead this message
> just flickers by:
>
>     Mail source (pop :user moasen :password xyz
>     :server pop.zoho.com :port 995) failed:
>     (error Cannot get new mail)

Sometimes when that happens it indicates that the error is related to
timing. Ie, when debugging the function, evaluation is slowed down
enough that behavior changes. Getting more familiar with edebug will
help clear that up, though.

> Even ignoring the counterintuitiveness of
> that, it still doesn't seem to work, unless
> I repeatedly try until I don't get the message
> and do get the mail, if any.
>
> This is so confusing at this point it might be
> a configuration problem. But even that is
> difficult to asses because the Gnus setup is
> based on configuration. So the normal
> 'emacs -Q' to detect malconfiguration will
> cripple all of Gnus.

That's the fun thing about Gnus!

* Re: Gnus mail with zoho.com
@ 2017-04-24 19:04       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-04-24 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, it might not be a configuration issue after
all because here is another guy trying to do
the same thing, only he uses Gmail and not
zoho. It is the exact same situation!

I suppose this is a general problem with Gnus
and POP and/or SSL.

    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2014-11/msg00575.html