all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* From file to dired with that file choosen
@ 2008-08-28 22:30 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

How do you open dired from a file and go to that file in the dired buffer?

* Re: From file to dired with that file choosen
@ 2008-08-29  0:02 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-08-29  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you open dired from a file and go to that file in the dired
> buffer?

dired-find-alternate-file

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: From file to dired with that file choosen
@ 2008-08-29  0:07   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-29  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How do you open dired from a file and go to that file in the dired
>> buffer?
>
> dired-find-alternate-file

Thanks, but I meant the file I am visiting in the buffer.

* Re: From file to dired with that file choosen
@ 2008-08-29  1:48 ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2008-08-29  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Fri, 29 Aug 2008 00:30:11 +0200 "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you open dired from a file and go to that file in the dired buffer?

C-x C-j runs the command dired-jump
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `dired-x.el'.
It is bound to C-x C-j.
(dired-jump &optional OTHER-WINDOW)

Jump to dired buffer corresponding to current buffer.
If in a file, dired the current directory and move to file's line.
If in Dired already, pop up a level and goto old directory's line.
In case the proper dired file line cannot be found, refresh the dired
buffer and try again.

Hope this helps,
allan