all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mail files Incomingxxx
@ 2009-11-16 18:13 Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2009-11-16 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am a very happy user of emacs (v23) and gnus (5.13).
I just notice a bunch of file in my main mail directory
named   Incomingxxxxx for various xxxxx.

I believe these are mails that arrived that for some reason didn't get
put into my mail folders.

How can I ask emacs/gnus to process these files.
They are few enough (couple dozen) that if they all came into some
catchall group, I would have not problem putting them in the appropriate
groups myself.

thanks,
allan

* Re: mail files Incomingxxx
@ 2009-11-16 19:37 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-16 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:

Hi Alan,

> I am a very happy user of emacs (v23) and gnus (5.13).
> I just notice a bunch of file in my main mail directory
> named   Incomingxxxxx for various xxxxx.
>
> I believe these are mails that arrived that for some reason didn't get
> put into my mail folders.

No, these are only backup files, which are enabled in non-released Gnus
versions to be sure that no mail can be lost during mail splitting.  Do
you use the released Emacs 23.1?  Maybe it was forgotten to disable
those backups, but on the other hand, why not donate some megabytes for
extra safety?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Source Customization") ]
| `mail-source-delete-incoming'
|      If non-`nil', delete incoming files after handling them.  If `t',
|      delete the files immediately, if `nil', never delete any files.
|      If a positive number, delete files older than number of days (the
|      deletion will only happen when receiving new mail).  You may also
|      set `mail-source-delete-incoming' to `nil' and call
|      `mail-source-delete-old-incoming' from a hook or interactively.
|      `mail-source-delete-incoming' defaults to `10' in alpha Gnusae and
|      `2' in released Gnusae.  *Note Gnus Development::.
`----

Ah, I was wrong.  Even released Gnusae keep some Incoming files
nowadays. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: mail files Incomingxxx
       [not found] <mailman.10817.1258395202.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-17  1:00 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-11-17  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:13:11 -0500, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I am a very happy user of emacs (v23) and gnus (5.13).  I just notice
> a bunch of file in my main mail directory named Incomingxxxxx for
> various xxxxx.
>
> I believe these are mails that arrived that for some reason didn't get
> put into my mail folders.

No, these are the temporary files Gnus creates when you pull email.  In
development versions of Gnus the value of `mail-source-delete-incoming'
is nil, so they are left around and garbage collected later.  See the
manual sections ``Gnus Development'' and ``Mail Source Customization''
for a few more details.

> How can I ask emacs/gnus to process these files.
>
> They are few enough (couple dozen) that if they all came into some
> catchall group, I would have not problem putting them in the
> appropriate groups myself.

You don't need to process them.  If you are certain that no email has
been lost and everything has been spooled into a Gnus folder, you can
just delete these files.

Even if you don't delete them, Gnus will delete them after a few days
(the number of days that the "Incoming*" files are kept around is the

@ 2009-11-19 14:27 ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 16, 7:13 pm, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I am a very happy user of emacs (v23) and gnus (5.13).
> I just notice a bunch of file in my main mail directory
> named   Incomingxxxxx for various xxxxx.
>
> I believe these are mails that arrived that for some reason didn't get
> put into my mail folders.

Maybe we've been by the same bug (?).

Please have a look to:

http://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/msg07881.html

for a possible reason, but unfortunately no answer.