all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#4450: 23.1; encoding error loading .elc locks file
@ 2009-09-16 15:07 David J. Biesack
From: David J. Biesack @ 2009-09-16 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

I have .el files compiled in earlier versions of Emacs and
I get an error trying to load them in 23.1

  load-file: Invalid read syntax: "invalid multibyte form"

I try to recompile them, but I get an error:

  byte-compile-file: Removing old name: permission denied, c:/djb/emacs/filemenu.e

I must exit emacs to release the lock on the file, then
I can open and byte-compile the .el file and load the .elc

I've attached a copy of my existing filemenu.elc and filemenu.el
but this occurs on other .elc files as well.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x l o a d - f i l e <return> d j b / e m a c s /
f i l e m e n <tab> c <return> C-x C-f d j b / e m
e - c o m p i SPC f SPC <return> f i l e m e n u .
e l <return> M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u SPC
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
load-file: Invalid read syntax: "invalid multibyte form"
Compiling c:/djb/emacs/filemenu.el...
Fontifying *Compile-Log*... (regexps.......................................................)
Compiling c:/djb/emacs/filemenu.el...done
byte-compile-file: Removing old name: permission denied, c:/djb/emacs/filemenu.elc

--
David J. Biesack, SAS
SAS Campus Dr. Cary, NC 27513

[-- Attachment #2: filemenu.elc --]

[-- Attachment #3: filemenu.el --]

;;; filemenu.el --- Mode for buffers that present menus of files to visit

;; Copyright (C) 1998 Will Mengarini

;; Author: Will Mengarini <seldon@eskimo.com>

;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
;; any later version.

;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

;; along with GNU Emacs; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the
;; Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
;; Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

;;; Commentary:

;; This package lets you set up one or more menus of names of files you visit
;; frequently, so you can select from that menu.  A mouse is supported but
;; not required.  The menus are stored in text files; they can have several
;; columns of file names, & can apply different default directories to
;; different groups of lines in the same file.  File names that contain
;; spaces, such as occur on Macs & on Windows {95,NT}, are supported.

;; To use this package, you need to hack 2 files: a file you'll create
;; containing a menu of names of files you access often, & your .emacs file,
;; where you'll autoload filemenu-mode & map loading your menu file to a key.

;; By default, the name of your menu file is "~/filemenu".  I suggest that to
;; get started, you copy this text to that file:
;;   ~/
;;   my-novel.txt   "My Invention.txt"    my-checklist.chl
;;   c:\emacs\emacs-19.34\lisp\simple.el
;; Delete the leading semicolons by putting the cursor in the top left corner
;; of the file, pressing C-SPC to set the mark, moving it to line 3 column 5
;; over the "c" in "c:", & pressing C-x r k to run (kill-rectangle).  Then
;; modify the file names to name files you really have on your system.  You
;; might as well leave the quotes around the middle-column file name just to
;; remind yourself that that format is available (you may need it on
;; Microsoft systems).  On a Microsoft OS, you can use either a virgule or a
;; bash as a directory delimiter; the bash need not be doubled or quadrupled
;; (as it is to cope with multiple levels of quoting in some contexts).  On a
;; Unix system, use a virgule.  "~/" works with all systems.  Note that
;; because it's alone on a line, it sets the default directory for all file
;; names on all following lines until another alone-on-a-line path ending in
;; a directory separator occurs; however, files that have their own absolute
;; directory specifiers are unaffected.  To edit the third line of that file
;; to reflect where your ELisp library actually is, type C-h v load-path; the
;; correct value is in there someplace; copy it.  That'll be enough to let
;; you experiment with filemenu; later you can edit ~/filemenu to add all the
;; files you visit frequently.  (The simple.el library file defines the most
;; frequently used Lisp functions that are standard in GNU Emacs, such as
;; `newline-and-indent'.  If you're a Lisp hacker you'll want to read these
;; occasionally just to understand how Emacs works.  This is also a
;; convenient way of accessing other library files, since once you've loaded
;; this one, its directory becomes the default directory for find-file, and
;; you can use completion to name other files.  (Using dired on the ELisp
;; library can be a bad idea except on fast machines because the library is
;; so big; I've seen building the dired buffer take > 30 s.)  Sparse package
;; documentation often makes it necessary to "Use the Source, Luke" to figure
;; out how to use Emacs features effectively.)

;; Next, put these lines in your .emacs (_emacs on Microsoft systems) file:
;;   (autoload 'filemenu "filemenu"
;;     "Load the file menu named by the variable filemenu-file-name."
;;     t)
;;   (autoload 'filemenu-mode "filemenu"
;;     "Major mode for picking a file to edit from a buffer offering a menu."
;;     t)
;;   (add-to-list auto-mode-alist '("[:/\\]filemenu\\'" . filemenu-mode))
;;   (global-set-key (read-kbd-macro "C-c f") 'filemenu)
;; You can modify the argument to (read-kbd-macro) to whatever is convenient
;; for you.

;; Next, move the cursor to the first of those (autoload) lines, type C-SPC
;; to set the mark, move it to the beginning of the line after the
;; `global-set-key', & type M-x eval-region.  You should then see "nil" in
;; the echo area; that's the value of the final form evaluated.  If you see
;; an error message, there's a typo.  You won't need to do this `eval-region'
;; again; in the future, when you load Emacs, that region will be evaluated
;; along with the rest of your .emacs at load time.  This is just for adding
;; lines to .emacs during a running session.

;; Now you're ready to try filemenu.  Type C-c f (or whatever you modified
;; the `read-kbd-macro' arg to).  You should find yourself in ~/filemenu,
;; which is the buffer into which you typed those 3 sample lines; the mode
;; line should show "Filemenu" ("T:Filemenu" on Microsoft systems) as the
;; major mode.  If anything else happens, review the instructions to be sure
;; you followed them correctly; if it still doesn't work, send me hate mail.

;; Now you're ready to select from the menu.  Try it first just using the
;; keyboard: use the usual motion keys to put point before or inside any of
;; those file names, and press RET.  The effect will be to visit the file.
;; Type C-x k to kill the buffer you just visited, & C-c f again (or
;; whatever) to get back to the filemenu buffer; then type v instead of RET,
;; & the effect will be to visit the file in view-mode.  Kill it again.  If
;; you're familiar with dired, you can try positioning point on the first
;; line (the "~/" line) & pressing RET; the effect will be to run dired on
;; your home directory & put you in the dired buffer.

;; If you're on a system that has a mouse, now try it.  Type C-c f or
;; whatever to get back to the filemenu buffer, move the mouse pointer to
;; some file, & press mouse-1 (which is usually the left button).  The effect
;; will be to visit the file for editing.  Kill it, C-c f again, & press
;; mouse-2 (which is usually the middle button, or a click on the mouse wheel
;; if you have an IntelliMouse, or the left & right buttons simultaneously if
;; you only have a 2-button mouse).  You'll visit the file in view-mode.

;; That's it; filemenu is installed.  Hack ~/filemenu to add the names of
;; files you visit frequently.  Watch out for a gotcha there: when you're
;; visiting that file, you're not in text-mode, you're in filemenu-mode, so
;; RET & v don't insert characters, they visit files.  Get around this by
;; preceding them with C-q.  If you're typing in a large # of file names at
;; once this could be a nuisance; in that case, you could type them into the
;; *scratch* buffer & cut-&-paste them to ~/filemenu.

;; Some customizations are possible; most people won't need these.

;; If you don't like the name "~/filemenu", put a line like
;;   (setq filemenu-file-name "c:/My Emacs Stuff/My Filemenu File.fmn")
;; or whatever pleases you in your .emacs or _emacs file.  Note that if you
;; used bashes instead of virgules as your directory separators there (that's
;; Lisp code, not filemenu buffer text) you'd need to double them:
;;   (setq filemenu-file-name "c:\\My Emacs Stuff\\My Filemenu File.fmm")
;; Virgules work with Emacs on Microsoft systems.

;; If you don't like the keymappings of filemenu-mode, put code like
;;   (defun 'my-filemenu-mode-hook ()
;;     (local-set-key (read-kbd-macro "H-M-f") 'filemenu-find-file-at-point)
;;     (local-set-key [down-mouse-3] 'mouse-set-point)
;;     (local-set-key [mouse-3] 'filemenu-view-file-at-point))
;;   (add-hook 'filemenu-mode-hook 'my-filemenu-mode-hook)
;; in your .emacs file.

;; Finally, if you want multiple filemenu files, take a deep breath, then
;; copy all of this code literally to the top of your .emacs file:
;;
;;   (require 'cl)
;;
;;   (defmacro interactive-lambda (argstring &rest list)
;;     (if (equal argstring "")
;;         `(lambda () (interactive) ,@list)
;;       `(lambda ,(car list) (interactive ,argstring) ,@(cdr list))))
;;
;;   (defmacro global-set-key-to-interactive-lambda (key argstring &rest list)
;;     `(global-set-key ,key (interactive-lambda ,argstring ,@list)))
;;
;;   (fset 'K 'global-set-key-to-interactive-lambda)
;;
;;   (defun multiple-actions-for-multiple-taps-on (key-sequence actions)
;;     (if (stringp key-sequence) (callf read-kbd-macro key-sequence))
;;     (let (keys)
;;       (while
;;           (progn
;;             (eval (car actions))
;;             (callf cdr actions)
;;             (setq keys (read-key-sequence nil))
;;             (and (equal keys key-sequence)
;;                  actions)))
;;       (setq unread-command-events (listify-key-sequence keys))))
;;
;;   (put 'multiple-actions-for-multiple-taps-on
;;        'lisp-indent-function
;;        'defun)
;;
;; Then do an `eval-region' as before on the code you just inserted.
;;
;; Next choose a way of recognizing files that are filemenu files.  On
;; Microsoft systems, this'll be the "extension" of the file, the chars that
;; follow its final dot; I'll assume that's your situation, since if you're
;; on a Unix system you must be smart enough to figure out for yourself how
;; to modify these instructions appropriately.  Let's say you chose ".fmn"
;; as the extension.  Add this line to your .emacs after the other
;; filemenu-related add-to-list line that you already put in:
;;   (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.fmn\\'" . filemenu-mode))
;; Then replace the global-set-key line you already put in with lines
;; equivalent to these (modify the find-file arguments to name your files):
;;   (K "\C-cf" "" (multiple-actions-for-multiple-taps-on "f"
;;                   '((filemenu)
;;                     (find-file "~/WorkMenu.fmm")
;;                     (find-file "~/PlayMenu.fmm")
;;                     (find-file "~/HomeMenu.fmm"))))
;; Do an `eval-region' on the `add-to-list' line & the `K' lines.
;; The effect will be that pressing C-c f will invoke (filemenu) as before,
;; but each subsequent press of f will move to one of the files in
;; "~/{Work,Play,Home}Menu.fmm".  Pressing any other key than f returns f to
;; its normal meaning; f also regains its normal meaning after the final
;; file in the list, "~/HomeMenu.fmm", has been visited.
;; As Ross Perot would say, "it's that simple".

;;; Code:

;; I know about ffap.el, but it has a different feature set.

(defvar filemenu-file-name "~/filemenu"
  "*Path to default file menu used by the filemenu command.")

(defvar filemenu-mode-hook nil
  "Normal hook run after loading a buffer in filemenu mode.")

(eval-when-compile (require 'cl))

(defvar filemenu-map nil
  "Keymap for filemenu mode.")

;;;###autoload
(defun filemenu-mode ()
  "Major mode for picking a file to edit from a buffer offering a menu.
The intended use is on a file you will create listing the files you visit
so frequently you want them on a menu.  The command 'filemenu visits that
file in filemenu-mode.  An example of the format:
   /etc/passwd
   /home/myself/
      diary  \"File with spaces in its name.Doc\"  c:\\DOS\\Nibbles.Bas
      foo.spoo  woo.hoo  /usr/local/bin/ballyhoo.u  oops.oof
   /etc/hosts\\<filemenu-map>
Any # of file names may appear on a line.  If the name contains no
directory separator characters (virgules or backslashes), any preceding
line that ended with such a character is used as the directory.
Indentation is optional & ignored.  You pick a file to visit by
positioning point on its name & typing \\[filemenu-find-file-at-point],
or by mouse-clicking it.  Turning on filemenu mode calls the value of the
variable `filemenu-mode-hook', if that value is non-nil.

\\{filemenu-map}"
;;Note that the above documentation is an ELisp string; the bashes are
;;doubled there only because of that; use single bashes in ~/filemenu.
  (interactive)
  (kill-all-local-variables)
  (setq major-mode 'filemenu-mode
	mode-name "Filemenu")
  (use-local-map filemenu-map)
  (run-hooks 'filemenu-mode-hook))

;;;###autoload
(defun filemenu ()
  "Load the file named by the variable filemenu-file-name."
  (interactive)
  (find-file filemenu-file-name)
  (filemenu-mode))

(if filemenu-map
    ()
  (setq filemenu-map (make-sparse-keymap))
  ;; Remember that M-o whatever can still be used for orthodox functions,
  ;; if you're using my orthodox.el package.
  (define-key filemenu-map "\C-m"         'filemenu-find-file-at-point)
  (define-key filemenu-map [mouse-1]      'filemenu-find-file-at-point)
  ;; That alone isn't good enough because the global [down-mouse-1] mapping
  ;; can eat the [mouse-1] event, so it must be modally overridden:
  (define-key filemenu-map [down-mouse-1] 'mouse-set-point)
  ;; I find that I'm accustomed to using [mouse-2] as in *Apropos* & dired,
  ;; but I'd also like the option of view-mode, so:
  (define-key filemenu-map "v"            'filemenu-view-file-at-point)
  ;; Use C-q v to enter a literal "v"
  (define-key filemenu-map [down-mouse-2] 'mouse-set-point)
  (define-key filemenu-map [mouse-2]      'filemenu-view-file-at-point)
  )

(defun filemenu-find-file-at-point ()
  (interactive)
  (filemenu-visit-file-at-point-using 'find-file))

(defun filemenu-view-file-at-point ()
  (interactive)
  (filemenu-visit-file-at-point-using 'view-file))

(defun filemenu-visit-file-at-point-using (function)
  (or (symbolp function) (error "Internal failure 3322"))
  (if (and (bolp) (eolp)) (error "Empty line"))
  (let (point-bol point-start point-end file)
    (save-excursion
      (beginning-of-line)
      (if (looking-at "[ \t]+$") (error "Line is all whitespace"))
      (setq point-bol (point)))
    (save-excursion
      ;; Now we must get inside any quotes.  Because the quote search starts
      ;; with a search-backward, it's OK to be on the trailing quote of
      ;; "file", but not on the leading one; so if we're on a quote followed
      ;; by nonwhitespace we must move forward.  Also, we could be invoked
      ;; after the last quoted string on the line; in that case we must move
      ;; backward to the closing quote, or the search-backward intended
      ;; to find the opening quote will find the closing one instead.
      (when (< (current-column) (current-indentation))
        (back-to-indentation))
      (if (looking-at "\"[^ \t\n]")
          (forward-char)
        (while (looking-at "[ \t\]*$") (backward-char)))
      ;; Buglettino not worth fixing: in a line like
      ;;   "file1"  "file2"  "file3"
      ;; this works if dot is before or after the nonwhitespace on the line,
      ;; but if it's invoked *between* files, it'll interpret the surrounding
      ;; quotes as quoting a file whose name is whitespace.  It could avoid
      ;; that by counting quotes & realizing an even # preceded dot, but hey.
      (if (search-backward "\"" point-bol t)
          (progn
            ;; There was one quote, so require the other
            (forward-char)
            (setq point-start (point))
            (search-forward "\"")
            (backward-char)
            (setq point-end (point)))
        (re-search-backward "^\\|[ \t]")
        (if (looking-at "[ \t]")
            (forward-char))
        (setq point-start (point))
        (re-search-forward "\\([ \t]\\)\\|$")
        (if (match-beginning 1)
            (backward-char))
        (setq point-end (point)))
      (setq file (buffer-substring point-start point-end))
      (if (= (length file) 0) (error "No file name specified"))
      ;; If this file name included no directory, search backward in the
      ;; menu buffer for a line defining the directory & prepend it.
      (if (string-match "[/\\]" file)
          ()
        (when (re-search-backward "\\([/\\]\\)\\s-*$" nil t)
          (back-to-indentation)
          (setq point-bol (point))
          (goto-char (1+ (match-beginning 1)))
          (setq file (concat (buffer-substring point-bol (point)) file)))))
    (if (string-match "[*?]" file)
        (progn
          (message "(dired %S)" file)
          (dired file))
      (message "(%S %S)" function file)
      (let ((jiggle-enabled nil));see my jiggle.el
        (bury-buffer))
      (funcall function file))))

(provide 'filemenu)

;;; filemenu.el ends here

* bug#4450: 23.1; encoding error loading .elc locks file
@ 2009-09-18 18:32 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-09-18 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David J. Biesack; +Cc: 4450

> I have .el files compiled in earlier versions of Emacs and
> I get an error trying to load them in 23.1
>
>   load-file: Invalid read syntax: "invalid multibyte form"
>
> I try to recompile them, but I get an error:
>
>   byte-compile-file: Removing old name: permission denied, c:/djb/emacs/filemenu.e
>
> I must exit emacs to release the lock on the file, then
> I can open and byte-compile the .el file and load the .elc
>
> I've attached a copy of my existing filemenu.elc and filemenu.el
> but this occurs on other .elc files as well.
>
> In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON

I can't reproduce this with the files you attached.  Maybe this is a
Windows-only issue, and one of the Emacs developers using Windows can
reproduce it.

* bug#4450: 23.1; encoding error loading .elc locks file
@ 2009-09-18 19:26 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-09-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 4450, David J. Biesack

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 20:32, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> I can't reproduce this with the files you attached.  Maybe this is a
> Windows-only issue, and one of the Emacs developers using Windows can
> reproduce it.

I can reproduce the loading error, not unexpectedly: the .elc file is quite old

;;; compiled by sasdjb@unx.sas.com on Wed Jun 03 11:49:32 1998
;;; from file d:/DJB/emacs/filemenu.el
;;; emacs version 19.34.6.
;;; bytecomp version FSF 2.10
;;; optimization is on; compiled with Emacs 18 compatibility

But then M-x recompile-file filemenu.el <RET> works as expected.

    Juanma

* bug#4450: 23.1; encoding error loading .elc locks file
@ 2009-09-18 20:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-18 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero, 4450; +Cc: cyd, David.Biesack

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:26:29 +0200
> Cc: 4450@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com, "David J. Biesack" <David.Biesack@sas.com>
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 20:32, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't reproduce this with the files you attached.  Maybe this is a
> > Windows-only issue, and one of the Emacs developers using Windows can
> > reproduce it.
>
> I can reproduce the loading error, not unexpectedly: the .elc file is quite old
>
> ;;; compiled by sasdjb@unx.sas.com on Wed Jun 03 11:49:32 1998
> ;;; from file d:/DJB/emacs/filemenu.el
> ;;; emacs version 19.34.6.
> ;;; bytecomp version FSF 2.10
> ;;; optimization is on; compiled with Emacs 18 compatibility
>
> But then M-x recompile-file filemenu.el <RET> works as expected.

I suspect some other program (not Emacs) had the file open when the OP
attempted to recompile.  "Permission denied" usually means that.

Or maybe the file was in some directory private to another user.

* bug#4450: 23.1; encoding error loading .elc locks file
@ 2009-09-21 12:46     ` David J. Biesack
From: David J. Biesack @ 2009-09-21 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: lekktu, cyd, 4450

> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:54:50 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> CC: <cyd@stupidchicken.com>, <David.Biesack@sas.com>
>
> I suspect some other program (not Emacs) had the file open when the OP
> attempted to recompile.  "Permission denied" usually means that.
>
> Or maybe the file was in some directory private to another user.

No, only Emacs had the lock; simply exiting restarting Emacs and byte
compiling the file worked. The file is in my own ~/emacs folder
and there are no special permissions. This error has occurred with
numerous .elc files that worked fine in Emacs 22 but now fail in 23.1

However, I can no longer reproduce this problem, so you can close this problem.
thanks

--
David J. Biesack, SAS
SAS Campus Dr. Cary, NC 27513