all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-11-26  6:37 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-11-26  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

How to see the value of each char in a (long) string?

Here's why I need to do that:

In *shell*, (using csh), I yanked a command onto after the
shell-promt, hit <return>, and got BEEP.

I started hitting C-c's, couldn't kill the command I had
given.

Whenever I hit another <return>, I'd get echoed a ^G.

I opened another window (er, frame, X-window), did a
ps -ef | egrep '\<ls\>', and got nothing.

Any ideas?

(Also, how do you kill a command -- especially if you
can't seem to find it via "ps"?)

Thanks!

David

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-11-26 17:31 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-26 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> (Also, how do you kill a command -- especially if you
> can't seem to find it via "ps"?)

Maybe with pstree or something.  The csh has been started by Emacs
and the command has been started by the csh.  So that's how you can
find it.

kai

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-11-26 18:44 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-26 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <arv4rj$qdk$1@panix2.panix.com>,
David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>How to see the value of each char in a (long) string?
>
>Here's why I need to do that:
>
>In *shell*, (using csh), I yanked a command onto after the
>shell-promt, hit <return>, and got BEEP.
>
>I started hitting C-c's, couldn't kill the command I had
>given.
>
>Whenever I hit another <return>, I'd get echoed a ^G.

My guess is that the command included a pipe to "more", and that's more's
prompt.  Full-screen programs like this don't work well in the *shell*
buffer.  Try typing "q" to get out.

I don't understand what this problem has to do with your original question
about seeing the value of each character in a string.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-11-27  7:36   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-11-27  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <viPE9.21$fP2.761@paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>,
Barry Margolin  <barmar@genuity.net> wrote:
>In article <arv4rj$qdk$1@panix2.panix.com>,
>David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>>How to see the value of each char in a (long) string?
>>
>>Here's why I need to do that:
>>
>>In *shell*, (using csh), I yanked a command onto after the
>>shell-promt, hit <return>, and got BEEP.
>>
>>I started hitting C-c's, couldn't kill the command I had
>>given.
>>
>>Whenever I hit another <return>, I'd get echoed a ^G.
>
>My guess is that the command included a pipe to "more", and that's more's
>prompt.  Full-screen programs like this don't work well in the *shell*
>buffer.  Try typing "q" to get out.
>
>I don't understand what this problem has to do with your original question
>about seeing the value of each character in a string.

It doesn't have anything to do with it, except that
I was puzzled by what it was doing, with all the
BEEPS I was getting.

The real question is: how to find the value of each
char in a string.

Is there a function that already does that?

Maybe someone can show me the two or three lines
of elisp code to show the string with, for each char,
its numerical value (er, index, I guess).

Like, for "foo":

f 146
o 157
o 157

Easy to whip out something that?  (Would take me
*many hours*, with my lack of elisp ability!)

@ 2002-11-27  9:04     ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-11-27  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
[...]
> The real question is: how to find the value of each
> char in a string.
>
> Is there a function that already does that?
>
> Maybe someone can show me the two or three lines
> of elisp code to show the string with, for each char,
> its numerical value (er, index, I guess).
>
> Like, for "foo":
>
> f 146
> o 157
> o 157
[...]

(mapcar 'identity "foo")

    Oliver
--
7 Frimaire an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-11-27 18:50       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-11-27 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ur8d7crj3.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>,
Oliver Scholz  <alkibiades@gmx.de> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>[...]
>> The real question is: how to find the value of each
>> char in a string.
>>
>> Is there a function that already does that?
>>
>> Maybe someone can show me the two or three lines
>> of elisp code to show the string with, for each char,
>> its numerical value (er, index, I guess).
>>
>> Like, for "foo":
>>
>> f 146
>> o 157
>> o 157
>[...]
>
>(mapcar 'identity "foo")
>
>    Oliver

Cool -- and the last thing I would have ever thought of.

Now, for elisp-lesson #2, how to add to that the
non-numerical representation, eg:

(146   157   157   )
(146 157 157)
("f" "o" "o")

Like, for "foo123foo":

 (146 157 157 061 063 146 157 157)
 ("f" "o" "o" "2" "3" "f" "o" "o")

, or, if fill-column happens to be 20:

 (146 157 157 061
 ("f" "o" "o" "2"

063 146 157 157)
"3" "f" "o" "o")

Like, maybe running through the string twice, each
time saving the result, and while generating each one,
inserting three newlines every so often,

Perhaps, if a char is messy to print, eg ^L, then
something without quotes, eg "^L" (but no quotes, so
it fits).

----

Even a skeleton would be a big help; then maybe others
would add suggestions, etc.  Fun.

Here's the reason for my question: figuring out this (taken
from *shell*):

   20 ==/dkcjunk/pstree-19.3==> ls /tfile11--myexternals-opt
   \a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a

What in the world caused all those ^G's?

Here's the dired-listing of that dir:

  /opt6/tfile11--myexternals-opt:
  total 28
  drwxr-xr-x  10 root     other        512 Nov  8 03:50 .
  drwxr-xr-x  15 root     root         512 Nov  8 22:51 ..
  drwxr-xr-x   2 dkc      other        512 Mar 15  2002 Acrobat3.2
  drwxrwxr-x   3 root     bin          512 Jan 11  1996 appconfig
  drwxrwxr-x   2 root     bin          512 Jan 12  1996 bin
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         16 Nov  8 03:50 examples -> ./share/examples
  drwxrwxrwx  42 root     other       2048 Jul 18  2001 gnu
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         15 Nov  8 03:50 include -> ./share/include
  drwxrwxr-x   4 root     bin          512 Jan 12  1996 lib
  drwx------   2 root     root         512 Aug 16  1995 lost+found
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Nov  8 03:50 man -> ./share/man
  drwxr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Apr  8  1996 opt
  drwxr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Apr  8  1996 var

Looks ok to me.

(Heck, any ideas on *this* problem?)

Oh, here I do the ls from a dttool:

16 ==/home/dkc==> j
17 ==/home/dkc==> ls  /opt6/tfile11--myexternals-op
/opt6/tfile11--myexternals-op: No such file or directory
18 ==/home/dkc==>

, and I copy/pasted the dirname from the top of
the dired-buf.

Thanks,

David (confused)

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-11-27 19:22         ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-27 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <as345n$h78$1@reader1.panix.com>,
David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>>(mapcar 'identity "foo")
>>
>>    Oliver
>
>Cool -- and the last thing I would have ever thought of.
>
>Now, for elisp-lesson #2, how to add to that the
>non-numerical representation, eg:
>
>(146   157   157   )
>(146 157 157)
>("f" "o" "o")

(mapcar 'string "foo")

>Here's the reason for my question: figuring out this (taken
>from *shell*):
>

>   20 ==/dkcjunk/pstree-19.3==> ls /tfile11--myexternals-opt
>   \a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a
>

>What in the world caused all those ^G's?

Something was trying to ring the bell, but I'm not sure what.

--

@ 2002-11-28 10:07         ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-11-28 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
[...]
> , or, if fill-column happens to be 20:
>
>  (146 157 157 061
>  ("f" "o" "o" "2"
>
> 063 146 157 157)
> "3" "f" "o" "o")
>
> Like, maybe running through the string twice, each
> time saving the result, and while generating each one,
> inserting three newlines every so often,
[...]

Well, I think it is not possible (or at least very messy) to do this
using the graphical representation of lists. What you wrote above
would be the list

(146 157 157 061 ("f" "o" "o" "2" 063 146 157 157) "3" "f" "o" "o")

I must admit that I am not entirely sure that I understand what you
want, despite your eplanation of your problem with `ls'. Maybe
something like this?

(require 'cl)

(defun dc-display-ascii (string)
  (interactive "sString: ")
  (let ((standard-output (current-buffer)))
    (pp (mapcar* 'cons
		 (mapcar 'string string)
		 (mapcar 'identity string)))))

If you only want a convenient way to browse the ascii value of the
chars in a string or buffer, you might want to have a look at the
package ascii.el <URL: http://www.cpqd.com.br/~vinicius/emacs/ascii.el.gz>.

    Oliver
--
8 Frimaire an 211 de la Révolution

@ 2002-11-29 22:24           ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-11-29 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <zX8F9.57$sA6.786@paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>,
Barry Margolin  <barmar@genuity.net> wrote:
>In article <as345n$h78$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
><snip>
>>Here's the reason for my question: figuring out this (taken
>>from *shell*):
>>

>>   20 ==/dkcjunk/pstree-19.3==> ls /tfile11--myexternals-opt
>>   \a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a
>>

>>What in the world caused all those ^G's?
>
>Something was trying to ring the bell, but I'm not sure what.

The problem is -- how to get *out* of it!

^C^C does nothing.

Nor does my keying a ^G or several of them.

-----

Now, I don't want to kill emacs -- just that one
job I started from *shell*.

An easy way to get stuck in the ^G's output is to,
at a *shell* prompt, simply do "man <something longer
than one page>.

Like this:

9 ==/dkcjunk/pstree-19.3==> man whatis
*** output flushed ***    <<<=== I did a ^O here. (subsequent ^O's: no effect)
\a

\a

FILES
\a

     /usr/share/man/windex
\a

           Table of contents and keyword database
\a

\a

Note how each time I hit a <return> it types out
only *one* line.

And yet again (due to this my advertent man whatis (should
have done M-x man)), I'm forced to rename the *shell*
buffer to something else, and M-x shell a new one.

(I'll wait a bit first, before doing that.)

------

I just tried a trick (failed) to do a ps -ef (I'm running solaris)
without a new *shell* -- from a dired-buffer, I did "!"
and then "ps -ef", but didn't work.

Ok, from another cde-window I found it and killed it;
*shell* now cured.

---

(Just found why the dired ! ps -ef didn't work -- got the
direded file as arg; ! ps -ef ; echo     does work.

So does ! ps -ef #

Someone ought to document that, in the emacs manual.)

---

But my main question still is -- shouldn't I be able to kill
that man command from *within* that same *shell*
buffer?

Any ideas?

@ 2002-11-29 23:57           ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-11-29 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <uisyixb0z.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>,
Oliver Scholz  <alkibiades@gmx.de> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>[...]
>> , or, if fill-column happens to be 20:
>>
>>  (146 157 157 061
>>  ("f" "o" "o" "2"
>>
>> 063 146 157 157)
>> "3" "f" "o" "o")
>>
>> Like, maybe running through the string twice, each
>> time saving the result, and while generating each one,
>> inserting three newlines every so often,
>[...]
>
>Well, I think it is not possible (or at least very messy) to do this
>using the graphical representation of lists. What you wrote above
>would be the list
>
>(146 157 157 061 ("f" "o" "o" "2" 063 146 157 157) "3" "f" "o" "o")
>
>I must admit that I am not entirely sure that I understand what you
>want, despite your eplanation of your problem with `ls'. Maybe
>something like this?
>
>(require 'cl)
>
>(defun dc-display-ascii (string)
>  (interactive "sString: ")
>  (let ((standard-output (current-buffer)))
>    (pp (mapcar* 'cons
>		 (mapcar 'string string)
>		 (mapcar 'identity string)))))

Yes, thanks, does the trick.

>If you only want a convenient way to browse the ascii value of the
>chars in a string or buffer, you might want to have a look at the
>package ascii.el <URL: http://www.cpqd.com.br/~vinicius/emacs/ascii.el.gz>.

Now, *that* is one neat little tool!

How does one find out that such tools exist?

@ 2002-11-30  7:28             ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-30  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <as8pes$d3r$1@reader1.panix.com>,
David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <zX8F9.57$sA6.786@paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>,
>Barry Margolin  <barmar@genuity.net> wrote:
>>In article <as345n$h78$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>>David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>><snip>
>>>Here's the reason for my question: figuring out this (taken
>>>from *shell*):
>>>

>>>   20 ==/dkcjunk/pstree-19.3==> ls /tfile11--myexternals-opt
>>>   \a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a
>>>

>>>What in the world caused all those ^G's?
>>
>>Something was trying to ring the bell, but I'm not sure what.
>
>The problem is -- how to get *out* of it!
>
>^C^C does nothing.
>
>Nor does my keying a ^G or several of them.

I thought I answered this in my earlier post: You're running "more" or
"less", which uses "q" as the command to exit.

--

@ 2002-11-30 17:22               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-30 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> writes:

> I thought I answered this in my earlier post: You're running "more" or
> "less", which uses "q" as the command to exit.

It is, however, somewhat surprising that running any command in a
shell buffer makes C-x k and C-c C-c and so on fail to work.

Hm.

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-12-02 10:12                 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-12-02 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <84isyfas6t.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>,
Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> writes:
>
>> I thought I answered this in my earlier post: You're running "more" or
>> "less", which uses "q" as the command to exit.
>
>It is, however, somewhat surprising that running any command in a
>shell buffer makes C-x k and C-c C-c and so on fail to work.

What makes you think they're failing?  They're sending the usual signal to
the program running in the shell buffer.  Some applications handle this
signal. differently from others.  Many interactive applications use SIGINT
(what C-c C-c sends) as the way to get back to their prompt, rather than
terminate the program completely, and I think less is like this.

--

@ 2002-12-02 17:53                   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-02 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> writes:

> Many interactive applications use SIGINT (what C-c C-c sends) as the
> way to get back to their prompt, rather than terminate the program
> completely, and I think less is like this.

Oh.  Uh.  Ah!

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-12-04 10:14   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-12-04 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <843cpob5lz.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>,
Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> (Also, how do you kill a command -- especially if you
>> can't seem to find it via "ps"?)
>
>Maybe with pstree or something.  The csh has been started by Emacs
>and the command has been started by the csh.  So that's how you can
>find it.

Like I said, that pstree is really cool.

What other suych things like that are there?

@ 2002-12-04 17:53     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-04 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> Like I said, that pstree is really cool.
>
> What other suych things like that are there?

Off-topic alert.  How about dirtree...

PS: Does anyone have a port of dired-nested to recent Emacsen, or
    perhaps a reimplementation?  (It used to be called dired-nstd to
    be precise.)  I really miss it.

* Re: How to see the value of each char in a string?
@ 2002-12-05 10:42     ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-12-05 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> Like I said, that pstree is really cool.
>
> What other suych things like that are there?

ps xf will give a 'tree' output as well.

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk