all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Flyspell: correcting words
@ 2004-01-15 16:13 gebser
From: gebser @ 2004-01-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

When, in flyspell-mode, I "M-x flyspell-correct-word", emacs replies
"flyspell-correct-word must be bound to an event with parameters".

Also (probably along the same thread) I'd like to tell flyspell "this
word under the point is spelled okay."  How would I accomplish this?

Using Emacs v.21.2.1.

tia,
ken

* Re: Flyspell: correcting words
       [not found] <mailman.707.1074183270.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-01-15 23:06 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-15 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:

> When, in flyspell-mode, I "M-x flyspell-correct-word", emacs replies
> "flyspell-correct-word must be bound to an event with parameters".

Why don't you use `M-x flyspell-word'?

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2004-01-19 17:44 ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2004-01-19 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> When, in flyspell-mode, I "M-x flyspell-correct-word", emacs replies
> "flyspell-correct-word must be bound to an event with parameters".

Maybe you want to quickly auto-correct? If so, you can easily bind that
function to a key press:

;; correct and expand last bad word
(global-set-key (kbd "<f2>") 'flyspell-auto-correct-word)

This works surprisingly well for simple typos.

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: Flyspell: correcting words
@ 2004-01-26 12:31   ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2004-01-26 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:06 (UTC-0700) on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 Kevin Rodgers said:

= gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:
=
= > When, in flyspell-mode, I "M-x flyspell-correct-word", emacs replies
= > "flyspell-correct-word must be bound to an event with parameters".
=
=
= Why don't you use `M-x flyspell-word'?

This does nothing at all.  There's nothing in the minibuffer, no error
message, the cursor does nothing... it's as if I never entered the
command.

However, since posting this I discovered that, if I run "M-x
ispell-word", that seems to do what I want, i.e., checks the spelling,
offers alternatives in another window, and allows me to correct the
mispelled word or add it to the existing dictionary.  Is this the way
it's supposed to work?  If so, it's counter-intuitive.

* Re: Flyspell: correcting words
@ 2004-01-26 12:36   ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2004-01-26 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I do "M-x flyspell-auto-correct-word" a number of alternative
spellings are offered in the minibuffer, but I don't know how to select
a correction from these, nor is it apparent how to create my own
correction.

tnx for the reply,
ken

       [not found] <mailman.1361.1075124932.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-01-27 19:44 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-27 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:

> At 16:06 (UTC-0700) on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 Kevin Rodgers said:
>
> = gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:
> =
> = > When, in flyspell-mode, I "M-x flyspell-correct-word", emacs replies
> = > "flyspell-correct-word must be bound to an event with parameters".
> =
> =
> = Why don't you use `M-x flyspell-word'?
>
> This does nothing at all.  There's nothing in the minibuffer, no error
> message, the cursor does nothing... it's as if I never entered the
> command.
>
> However, since posting this I discovered that, if I run "M-x
> ispell-word", that seems to do what I want, i.e., checks the spelling,
> offers alternatives in another window, and allows me to correct the
> mispelled word or add it to the existing dictionary.  Is this the way
> it's supposed to work?  If so, it's counter-intuitive.

ispell provides explicit commands to check the spelling of a word or all the

words in a region.  flyspell is a minor mode to check spelling as you type.

--
Kevin Rodgers