all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p
@ 2003-11-27 14:50 Richard Burton
From: Richard Burton @ 2003-11-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I'm using Rmail in emacs.  To reply to a message, I enter "r."  To quote
the original message, I enter c-c c-y.  According to info, the original
message should be quoted with the value of mail-yank-prefix.

 So I try:

 (set mail-yank-prefix '>)

 But it has no effect on the behavior of c-c c-y, except that it generates
the error message "Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p."

 What am I doing wrong?

 Thanks,

rb

* Re: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p
@ 2003-11-27 16:30 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2003-11-27 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Burton <carlitograu@yoooooowho.com> writes:

>  (set mail-yank-prefix '>)
>
>  But it has no effect on the behavior of c-c c-y, except that it generates
> the error message "Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p."
>
>  What am I doing wrong?

You are setting the value to the symbol > istead of to a string.  try
">" instead.  You should also use `setq' instead of `set'.

* Re: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p
@ 2003-11-28  4:45   ` Richard Burton
From: Richard Burton @ 2003-11-28  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg wrote:

> Richard Burton <carlitograu@yoooooowho.com> writes:
>
>>  (set mail-yank-prefix '>)
>>
>>  But it has no effect on the behavior of c-c c-y, except that it
>>  generates
>> the error message "Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p."
>>
>>  What am I doing wrong?
>
> You are setting the value to the symbol > istead of to a string.  try
> ">" instead.  You should also use `setq' instead of `set'.

Works like a charm, thanks,

RB