all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile
       [not found] <20021112092211.24610.36860.Mailman@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-12 14:39 ` Brad Miller
From: Brad Miller @ 2002-11-12 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had the same problem this morning after updating to 10.2.2 last night.

My first attempt, was to do something simple:
make clean
make
That didn't solve it...  Emacs still died right after launch.
make distclean
make
Same result.  For some reason this never works like I would expect it
to for the mac build.  Is there a better/different clean target that I
should use?

So, I removed the emacs directory and checked out a clean copy from CVS.
./configure --without-x
make bootstrap

Now I get a bunch of warnings like this one, chosen at random:
keyboard.c:62: warning: could not use precompiled header
'/usr/include/unistd-gcc3.p', because:
keyboard.c:62: warning: macro 'select' defined by ./s/darwin.h
conflicts with precomp

Finally the compile dies a horrible death at:
Compiling /Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
 >>Error occurred processing
/Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el: Symbol's function
definition is void ((char-table-p))
make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Uggh!  Now I'm really stuck.  Any thoughts on what I can do?

Thanks,

Brad

On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 03:22 AM, emacs-devel-request@gnu.org
wrote:

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:34:24 -0800
> Subject: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile
> From: Steven Tamm <steventamm@mac.com>
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I just updated to Mac OS X 10.2.2 and the emacs I was using (compiled
> in 10.2.1) stopped working (similar to the update between 10.1 and
> 10.2).  Recompiling fixed everything, so it's not a huge problem.
> Seems that there is a new version of libSystem.B included in 10.2.2,
> which is incompatible.
>
> The error I got was here:
>
> #0  0x90004248 in szone_size ()
> #1  0x000b0b0c in xrealloc (block=0x0, size=321) at alloc.c:542
> #2  0x00006240 in adjust_frame_message_buffer (f=0x63aec0) at
> dispnew.c:2435
> #3  0x00005c20 in adjust_frame_glyphs (f=0x63aec0) at dispnew.c:2133
> #4  0x00005bcc in adjust_frame_glyphs_initially () at dispnew.c:2115
> #5  0x0000c6e4 in init_display () at dispnew.c:6537
>
> It occurs on the first call to realloc with a non-empty block.  The
> darwin source is hard to follow at this point as malloc blocks are
> controlled in objc code.
>
> Does anyone else see this problem?
> -Steven

Brad Miller
PhD Candidate
University of Minnesota
(612) 384-8351
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~bmiller

* Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile
@ 2002-11-12 16:16   ` Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2002-11-12 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

FWIW, I got it to work by just relinking.  I removed src/emacs and then
"make"  rerunning make from a two week old version of CVS.

> Now I get a bunch of warnings like this one, chosen at random:
> keyboard.c:62: warning: could not use precompiled header
> '/usr/include/unistd-gcc3.p', because:
> keyboard.c:62: warning: macro 'select' defined by ./s/darwin.h
> conflicts with precomp

This warning is OK.  Select is overridden on Mac OS X to deal with a
small problem when carbon emacs is run from the command line.  It
should also complain about vfork being overridden.  I don't remember
what it was for and I'm not sure if that override is necessary in 10.2.
  If it says "precompiled header is out of date" then run
% sudo fixPrecomps

> Finally the compile dies a horrible death at:
> Compiling /Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
> >>Error occurred processing
> /Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el: Symbol's function
> definition is void ((char-table-p))
> make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

A couple other people have sent this to me.  It appears latest CVS is
broken.  I just updated to the latest CVS and run a make bootstrap and
encountered the same problem.  I'm going to try to revert to CVS from
two weeks ago and see what happens.

* Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile
@ 2002-11-12 16:42   ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-11-12 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Brad Miller <bmiller@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> Finally the compile dies a horrible death at:
> Compiling /Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
>  >>Error occurred processing
>    /Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el: Symbol's
>    function definition is void ((char-table-p))
> make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> Uggh!  Now I'm really stuck.  Any thoughts on what I can do?

The current CVS code does not bootstrap correctly.  It has already been
reported in gnu.emacs.help.

* char-table-p (Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile)
@ 2002-11-14  2:55     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2002-11-14  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jun, akochoi, emacs-devel