all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 14:20 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-18 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:

  - a method specification
  - a user name
  - a host name
  - and a path specifying the file on the remote host

Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.

Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
whole thing.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 14:57 ` Romain FRANCOISE
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Romain FRANCOISE @ 2003-01-18 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
> I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
> whole thing.

Why don't you rename the whole thing "Tramp file object" or something
similar?  This way you could use "filename" for the filename, which
would make sense.

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | With your feet in the air and
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | your head on the ground.

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 15:03 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2003-01-18 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
   I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
   whole thing.

What about "remote filename"?

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 16:37   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
>> I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
>> whole thing.
>
> Why don't you rename the whole thing "Tramp file object" or something
> similar?

Well, an example "Tramp file object" would be
/ssh:kai@server:/path/to/file.  Also, you enter it after C-x C-f.
And it seems to me that things that you enter after C-x C-f should be
called filenames.

But maybe I'm wrong?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 17:47     ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2003-01-18 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> writes:
>
>> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>
>>> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
>>> I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
>>> whole thing.
>>
>> Why don't you rename the whole thing "Tramp file object" or something
>> similar?
>
> Well, an example "Tramp file object" would be
> /ssh:kai@server:/path/to/file.  Also, you enter it after C-x C-f.
> And it seems to me that things that you enter after C-x C-f should be
> called filenames.
>
> But maybe I'm wrong?

Wow, I've just started with Tramp, that is the damndest thing I've
ever seen.  How convenient!  Thank you Kai, et al, excellent work.

--
Billy O'Connor
Editor, Beyond Linux From Scratch   http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 19:02     ` Romain FRANCOISE
From: Romain FRANCOISE @ 2003-01-18 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Well, an example "Tramp file object" would be
> /ssh:kai@server:/path/to/file.  Also, you enter it after C-x C-f.
> And it seems to me that things that you enter after C-x C-f should be
> called filenames.

Hm, yeah, it doesn't fit.

Ange-FTP calls this kind of filenames "extended filenames", how about
that?  I think it describes the purpose of the thing quite well...  It's
a filename with more stuff than just a filename: a method, user and
host.

What do you think?

(The added bonus is that now that Tramp and Ange-FTP filenames look
alike, the user won't be confused by different names.)

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | When we were kids, we hated
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | things our parents did.

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 19:43 ` Galen Boyer
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-01-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de wrote:
> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>
>   - a method specification
>   - a user name
>   - a host name
>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
>
> Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
>
> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
> I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
> whole thing.

filedir

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 21:01       ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2003-01-18 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

| Ange-FTP calls this kind of filenames "extended filenames", how about

Hmm Filename++? ;-) FilenameNG? UniversalFilename?

    /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: Another word for "path"?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-18 21:07 ` Harry Putnam
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-01-18 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 598 bytes --]

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>
>   - a method specification
>   - a user name
>   - a host name
>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
>
> Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
>
> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
> I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
> whole thing.

I think `absolute filename' is kind of the standard term for that.

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 21:28   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-01-18 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
> >
> >   - a method specification
> >   - a user name
> >   - a host name
> >   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
> >
> > Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> > list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
> >
> > Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
> > I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
> > whole thing.
>
> I think `absolute filename' is kind of the standard term for that.

Absolute implies completeness.  How about "hosted filename"?  Or
"local filename"?  If you need it in one word, you could cook up
"localname" for it.

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 21:35   ` Romain FRANCOISE
From: Romain FRANCOISE @ 2003-01-18 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I think `absolute filename' is kind of the standard term for that.

The filename part of a "Tramp filename" doesn't need to be absolute;
giving a relative filename will work as well.  So it's probably not the
best name.

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | I just thought I'd go out
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | with a little bit more style.

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 21:42     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-18 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Absolute implies completeness.  How about "hosted filename"?  Or
> "local filename"?  If you need it in one word, you could cook up
> "localname" for it.

Localname is quite nice.  I'll take that.  Thanks!
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Another word for "path"?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-18 22:28 ` gebser
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: gebser @ 2003-01-18 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai,

Consistency is nice.  It would make it easier to find related variables.

If the components were named:

tramp-remote-access-method
tramp-remote-user
tramp-remote-host
tramp-remote-path
tramp-remote-file

The whole thing concatenated would be:

tramp-remote-access-spec

If "local" means the machine connected to the keyboard under my fingers,
then "remote" is the machine at the far end of the connection I'm using
tramp to make.  The term "spec" (short for "specification") denotes all
of that which needs to be specified, but also that it may be a directory
(yes?).

Just my 2%USD,
ken

=
=   - a method specification
=   - a user name
=   - a host name
=   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
=
= Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
= list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
=
= Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
= I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
= whole thing.
=

* Re: Another word for "path"?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-19  5:43 ` David Masterson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Masterson @ 2003-01-19  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>   - a method specification
>   - a user name
>   - a host name
>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host

> Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.

> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
> I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
> whole thing.

Maybe the whole thing should be a ... "network object"?

After all, aren't you specifying something that exists on a (possibly
loosely coupled) network?

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

* Re: Another word for "path"?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-19 20:21 ` Pascal Bourguignon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2003-01-19 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>
>   - a method specification
>   - a user name
>   - a host name
>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
>
> Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.

Whatever... Where have you seen 'path' defined this way?

A path is  a path, and a path  to a file is a list  of directory entry
names, the last of  which is _a_ name of the file  and the other names
of directories.

$PATH and $MANPATH are misnomers  because they don't contain one path,
but a list of paths to the directories where commands or man pages are
to  be  searched.   At most  the  could  have  been named  $PATHS  and
$MANPATHS but better names would have been: $CMDDIRS and $MANDIRS.

Let's stop now with the novlang, and name your path 'path'!

> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
> I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
> whole thing.

Obviously, the whole thing is a URL!  http://user@host/path
Why do you call it a Tramp file name?

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
There is a fault in reality. Do not adjust your minds. -- Salman Rushdie

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-21 17:02   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>>
>>   - a method specification
>>   - a user name
>>   - a host name
>>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
>>
>> Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
>> list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
>
> Whatever... Where have you seen 'path' defined this way?

GNU coding standards.  Since Tramp is a GNU program (or part of it,
anyway), it's a good idea to adhere to this document :-)

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-21 18:23     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-01-21 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <84u1g2cu7k.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
>Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>
>> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>
>>> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>>>
>>>   - a method specification
>>>   - a user name
>>>   - a host name
>>>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
>>>
>>> Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
>>> list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
>>
>> Whatever... Where have you seen 'path' defined this way?
>
>GNU coding standards.  Since Tramp is a GNU program (or part of it,
>anyway), it's a good idea to adhere to this document :-)

Unix has always referred to something like /foo/bar/baz as a pathname.

I've always understood a list of directories like in $PATH to be called a
"search path", to distinguish it from a "file path".

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-21 22:12   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-01-21 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
> >
> >   - a method specification
> >   - a user name
> >   - a host name
> >   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
> >
> > Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> > list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
>
> Whatever... Where have you seen 'path' defined this way?
[...]
> Let's stop now with the novlang, and name your path 'path'!

Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-01/msg00320.html

/Johan

* RE: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-21 22:34 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2003-01-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Take a look at the Foldoc entry http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?pathname
This may help solve your dilemma.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W. Crane-

       [not found] <mailman.739.1043188595.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-22  8:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bingham, Jay" <Jay.Bingham@hp.com> writes:

> Take a look at the Foldoc entry http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?pathname
> This may help solve your dilemma.

No.  It tells me to continue using "path".  But that's exactly what I
don't want.  For other programs, other conventions might hold, but for
Emacs the convention is different, and so I want to follow the Emacs
convention.

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-22 18:37       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2003-01-22 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In article <84u1g2cu7k.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
> Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
>> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

>>> Whatever... Where have you seen 'path' defined this way?

>> GNU coding standards.  Since Tramp is a GNU program (or part of it,
>> anyway), it's a good idea to adhere to this document :-)

> Unix has always referred to something like /foo/bar/baz as a
> pathname.

I thought it always referred to as "filename".  I think the term
"pathname" became more prevalent after $PATH came into being (so it
does go back a *long* way).

> I've always understood a list of directories like in $PATH to be
> called a "search path", to distinguish it from a "file path".

Didn't VMS have a "file path" type concept that was more akin to $PATH
such that you could say "$PATH:file" and it would search the PATH for
a "file"?  Maybe it was also a concept in TOPS-20/10, but that's too
far back for me to remember clearly.

--

@ 2003-01-22 18:49         ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-01-22 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <un0lthvyy.fsf@synopsys.com>,
David Masterson  <dmaster@synopsys.com> wrote:

>> In article <84u1g2cu7k.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
>> Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:

>>> GNU coding standards.  Since Tramp is a GNU program (or part of it,
>>> anyway), it's a good idea to adhere to this document :-)
>
>> Unix has always referred to something like /foo/bar/baz as a
>> pathname.
>
>I thought it always referred to as "filename".  I think the term
>"pathname" became more prevalent after $PATH came into being (so it
>does go back a *long* way).

"filename" is often used to refer to the individual components of a
pathname, e.g. "foo", "bar", and "baz" are filenames.

The term "pathname" goes way back to the 60's -- it was used by Multics
designers.

>> I've always understood a list of directories like in $PATH to be
>> called a "search path", to distinguish it from a "file path".
>
>Didn't VMS have a "file path" type concept that was more akin to $PATH
>such that you could say "$PATH:file" and it would search the PATH for
>a "file"?  Maybe it was also a concept in TOPS-20/10, but that's too
>far back for me to remember clearly.

I think they called them "logical devices", or something like that, because
you used them in a pathname in place of a disk device.

--

@ 2003-01-22 18:55 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2003-01-22 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  Wednesday, January 22, 2003 12:37 PM David Masterson writes:

>> In article <84u1g2cu7k.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
>> Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:

>>> GNU coding standards.  Since Tramp is a GNU program (or part of it,
>>> anyway), it's a good idea to adhere to this document :-)
>
>> Unix has always referred to something like /foo/bar/baz as a
>> pathname.
>
>I thought it always referred to as "filename".  I think the term
>"pathname" became more prevalent after $PATH came into being (so it
>does go back a *long* way).
>
>> I've always understood a list of directories like in $PATH to be
>> called a "search path", to distinguish it from a "file path".
>
>Didn't VMS have a "file path" type concept that was more akin to $PATH
>such that you could say "$PATH:file" and it would search the PATH for
>a "file"?  Maybe it was also a concept in TOPS-20/10, but that's too
>far back for me to remember clearly.

VMS did have such a concept, how I miss it.  A "symbol" could be defined that contained a series of directory specifications.  The symbol was not limited to name PATH so multiple search path symbols could be defined and did not require a $ preceding it.  It was very useful, it is too bad that Unix does not have a similar facility.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W. Crane-

* Re: Another word for "path"?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-12 18:42 ` Daniel Barclay
       [not found] ` <mailman.1885.1045075529.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2003-02-12 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>
>   - a method specification
>   - a user name
>   - a host name
>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
>
> Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.

That's a search path.  (If GNU calls that "path," they're being
ambiguous.)

> Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?

That's a pathname (a name based on a traversal path through a tree
graph representing a name hierarchy).

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
dsb@smart.net

* Re: Another word for "path"?
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-12 18:44 ` Daniel Barclay
       [not found] ` <mailman.1885.1045075529.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2003-02-12 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
>
>   - a method specification
>   - a user name
>   - a host name
>   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host

Also:

That looks a lot like a URI.  You might look at the URI terminology
in RFC 2396 (http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc2396.html).

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
dsb@smart.net

* Re: Another word for "path"?
       [not found] ` <mailman.1885.1045075529.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-13  7:28   ` Friedrich Dominicus
From: Friedrich Dominicus @ 2003-02-13  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Barclay <dsb@smart.net> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
> >
> > A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
> >
> >   - a method specification
> >   - a user name
> >   - a host name
> >   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
>
> Also:
>
> That looks a lot like a URI.  You might look at the URI terminology
> in RFC 2396 (http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc2396.html).
Maybe, this is the right choice but I was thinking Kai wanted a more
general term for path. As I reread this mails "file-locator" has come
to my mind. Am not sure if it's good but a least a suggestion.

Friedrich

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-02-13  9:32     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-13  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friedrich Dominicus <frido@q-software-solutions.com> writes:

> Maybe, this is the right choice but I was thinking Kai wanted a more
> general term for path. As I reread this mails "file-locator" has come
> to my mind. Am not sure if it's good but a least a suggestion.

I think I'm going to use `localname'.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-02-13 15:42       ` Friedrich Dominicus
From: Friedrich Dominicus @ 2003-02-13 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Friedrich Dominicus <frido@q-software-solutions.com> writes:
>
> > Maybe, this is the right choice but I was thinking Kai wanted a more
> > general term for path. As I reread this mails "file-locator" has come
> > to my mind. Am not sure if it's good but a least a suggestion.
>
> I think I'm going to use `localname'.
Does not fit if you have another host in it...

Regards
Friedrich

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-02-13 17:09         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-13 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friedrich Dominicus <frido@q-software-solutions.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Friedrich Dominicus <frido@q-software-solutions.com> writes:
>>
>> > Maybe, this is the right choice but I was thinking Kai wanted a more
>> > general term for path. As I reread this mails "file-locator" has come
>> > to my mind. Am not sure if it's good but a least a suggestion.
>>
>> I think I'm going to use `localname'.
> Does not fit if you have another host in it...

Hm?  There are two kinds of Tramp filenames, multi-hop names and
normal names.  Normal names look like this:

    /method:user@host:/path/to/file

Multi-hop names look like this (using "[...]" to indicate that I've
left out something):

    /multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:/path/to/file

In both cases, I'm looking for a word that describes "/path/to/file".

So if a hostname is mentioned in "/path/to/file", it will not be
interpreted specially.

It *is* somewhat confusing that the "localname" names a file on a
remote host, but that just depends on the way you look at it...
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-02-13 21:40           ` Daniel Pfeiffer
From: Daniel Pfeiffer @ 2003-02-13 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) skribis:
> There are two kinds of Tramp filenames, multi-hop names and
> normal names.  Normal names look like this:
>
>     /method:user@host:/path/to/file
>
> Multi-hop names look like this (using "[...]" to indicate that I've
> left out something):
>
>     /multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:/path/to/file
>
> In both cases, I'm looking for a word that describes "/path/to/file".
>
> So if a hostname is mentioned in "/path/to/file", it will not be
> interpreted specially.
>
> It *is* somewhat confusing that the "localname" names a file on a
> remote host, but that just depends on the way you look at it...

But using NFS, AFS or somesuch, /path/to/file may still be remote, even from
/multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- GPL 3: take the wind out of Palladium's sails! --
 ------
  -- My other stuff here too, sawfish, make.pl...: --
   ------
    -- http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/ --

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-02-14 16:04           ` Rodney Sparapani
From: Rodney Sparapani @ 2003-02-14 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

>Hm?  There are two kinds of Tramp filenames, multi-hop names and
>normal names.  Normal names look like this:
>
>    /method:user@host:/path/to/file
>
>Multi-hop names look like this (using "[...]" to indicate that I've
>left out something):
>
>    /multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:/path/to/file
>
>In both cases, I'm looking for a word that describes "/path/to/file".
>
>So if a hostname is mentioned in "/path/to/file", it will not be
>interpreted specially.
>
>It *is* somewhat confusing that the "localname" names a file on a
>remote host, but that just depends on the way you look at it...

I agree that "localname" is confusing.  It seems to me that
"/path/to/file" is what the emacs
documentation calls "directory", i.e. "directory/file".  Also, the
documentation mentions
"absolute path name" which would start with either / or ~.  I might
further qualify it by
"absolute/relative path name" when I'm referring to the concept of
"directory/file".  As a
final thought, I have also struggled with the GNU Emacs/elisp Coding
Standards and I think
it would be helpful if they addressed both "path" and "file name" with
examples that
demonstrate what the standards actually want (perhaps this will do :o).

--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research

* Re: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-02-14 17:09             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-14 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa@mcw.edu> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>>Hm?  There are two kinds of Tramp filenames, multi-hop names and
>>normal names.  Normal names look like this:
>>
>>    /method:user@host:/path/to/file
>>
>>Multi-hop names look like this (using "[...]" to indicate that I've
>>left out something):
>>
>>    /multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:/path/to/file
>>
>>In both cases, I'm looking for a word that describes "/path/to/file".
>>
>>So if a hostname is mentioned in "/path/to/file", it will not be
>>interpreted specially.
>>
>>It *is* somewhat confusing that the "localname" names a file on a
>>remote host, but that just depends on the way you look at it...
>
> I agree that "localname" is confusing.  It seems to me that
> "/path/to/file" is what the emacs documentation calls "directory",
> i.e. "directory/file".

I'm sorry that I believe this is not right, either.  After C-x d, for
instance, you're supposed to type a directory name.  So people have
to include the "user@host" part and stuff.

I need something that specifies the part after the last colon only,
and that will not be confused with the whole string.

So I think that file and directory are out (because they are normally
used for the whole shebang), and pathname is also out (because the
GNU or Emacs coding standards specify that a path is a list of
directories, like $PATH and $MANPATH).

Hm, actually, (string= "pathname" "path") => nil, so maybe I can get
away with using pathname.
--
A turnip curses Elvis