all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* retaining font-lock when inserting dir in dired
@ 2006-09-26 20:07 Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2006-09-26 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Whenever a directory is inserted in the current dired buffer, using 'i',
the font-locking (.e.g. folders and files showing in different colors) of
the parent directories are lost.  Only the inserted directory shows proper
font-locking.  This makes reading quite hard.  Does anybody know how to
retain the font-locking across the entire dired buffer?

Cheers,

--
Seb

* Re: retaining font-lock when inserting dir in dired
       [not found] <mailman.7453.1159301392.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-27 14:29 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-09-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque@gmail.com> writes:

> Whenever a directory is inserted in the current dired buffer, using
> 'i', the font-locking (.e.g. folders and files showing in different
> colors) of the parent directories are lost. Only the inserted
> directory shows proper font-locking. This makes reading quite hard.
> Does anybody know how to retain the font-locking across the entire
> dired buffer?

Works for me. Try emacs -Q and check your config.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: retaining font-lock when inserting dir in dired
@ 2006-11-03 17:31 ` Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2006-11-03 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:07:18 -0500,
"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Whenever a directory is inserted in the current dired buffer, using
> 'i', the font-locking (.e.g. folders and files showing in different
> colors) of the parent directories are lost.  Only the inserted directory
> shows proper font-locking.  This makes reading quite hard.  Does anybody
> know how to retain the font-locking across the entire dired buffer?

I found out that this is happening as a result of having:

,-----[ C-h v eshell-ls-use-in-dired RET ]
| eshell-ls-use-in-dired is a variable defined in `em-ls.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, use `eshell-ls' to read directories in Dired.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`-----

in GNU Emacs 22.0.90.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
of 2006-10-27 on nautilus, modified by Debian.

Cheers,

--
Seb