all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs Info's Next node name much more obvious than Current
       [not found] ` <87smi9t21t.fsf@penguin.cs.ucla.edu>
@ 2004-01-22 21:21   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2004-01-22 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-coreutils

Re: Undocumented sort +

Paul> It is briefly documented in the coreutils manual, under "sort
Paul> invocation": look for "obsolete".

I see.  In emacs, unless one looks down to the dreary modeline,
one's eyes think one is already on the uniq page, as it is glowing on
top, even though prefixed by "Next:"
P.S. I wonder if there is any one stroke equivalent of "s <return>"

I suppose being a web browser user, I expect <TITLE>s at tops of
displays, not <LINK next's>.

* Re: emacs Info's Next node name much more obvious than Current
@ 2004-01-23  7:03     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-01-23  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:
> I see.  In emacs, unless one looks down to the dreary modeline,
> one's eyes think one is already on the uniq page, as it is glowing on
> top, even though prefixed by "Next:"

Right.  This is quite confusing. So, instead of the current
header line and node header:

Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files
File: coreutils.info,  Node: sort invocation

it's better to hide the node header completely and show the
following header line:

(coreutils)sort invocation  Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files

This, of course, duplicates information displayed in the mode line,
but this is not as bad as current information separation between
node header, header line and mode line.

> P.S. I wonder if there is any one stroke equivalent of "s <return>"

In the latest patch for info.el I already proposed to add `M-s' keybinding:

  (define-key Info-mode-map "\M-s" 'Info-search-next)

There were another suggestions like `/', `\' for the same function,
but seems these are not acceptable.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: emacs Info's Next node name much more obvious than Current
@ 2004-01-23 20:57       ` Dan Jacobson
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1254.1074921911.928.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2004-01-23 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

J> Right.  This is quite confusing. So, instead of the current
J> header line and node header:

J> Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files
J> File: coreutils.info,  Node: sort invocation

which one sees only in the standalone info reader, and only at the top
of a page.

Anyway, I'm talking about what one sees at the top of the screen, when
not at the top of a page, and in emacs:
Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files

J> it's better to hide the node header completely and show the
J> following header line:

J> (coreutils)sort invocation  Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files

I see, adding "(coreutils)sort invocation" to the front of the
line. Sounds good, and there should be enough room too.

J> This, of course, duplicates information displayed in the mode line,
J> but this is not as bad as current information separation between
J> node header, header line and mode line.

>> P.S. I wonder if there is any one stroke equivalent of "s <return>"

J> In the latest patch for info.el I already proposed to add `M-s' keybinding:

J>   (define-key Info-mode-map "\M-s" 'Info-search-next)

Well for we who have ESC s welded into our heads due to being born
before the ALT button, there is no gain.

* Re: emacs Info's Next node name much more obvious than Current
@ 2004-01-24  3:17         ` Juri Linkov
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1254.1074921911.928.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-01-24  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:
> J> Right.  This is quite confusing. So, instead of the current
> J> header line and node header:
>
> J> Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files
> J> File: coreutils.info,  Node: sort invocation
>
> which one sees only in the standalone info reader, and only at the top
> of a page.
>
> Anyway, I'm talking about what one sees at the top of the screen, when
> not at the top of a page, and in emacs:
> Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files

In Emacs terminology, the line at the top of a window is "header line",
and the line at the top of an Info node buffer is "node header".

> J> it's better to hide the node header completely and show the
> J> following header line:
>
> J> (coreutils)sort invocation  Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files
>
> I see, adding "(coreutils)sort invocation" to the front of the
> line. Sounds good, and there should be enough room too.

However, in some Info nodes the long node header might not fit on
the header line.  One solution is to truncate the long node name
and display it in the header line partially with an ellipsis, e.g.:

sort invoc...  Next: uniq invocation,  Up: Operating on sorted files

>>> P.S. I wonder if there is any one stroke equivalent of "s <return>"
>
> J> In the latest patch for info.el I already proposed to add `M-s' keybinding:
> J>   (define-key Info-mode-map "\M-s" 'Info-search-next)
>
> Well for we who have ESC s welded into our heads due to being born
> before the ALT button, there is no gain.

In most GNU programs the next search command is bound to `n' key,
but in Info this key is already occupied by `Info-next' command.
One alternative is to bind it to `N' key, but usually this key is used
to repeat a search backwards.  Then another possibility is to bind it
to `S' key, which was suggested for `Info-search-case-sensitively'.
Since `Info-search-case-sensitively' is quite rarely used command,
its suggested keybinding `S' could be rebound to `Info-search-next'.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

@ 2004-01-24 16:36           ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2004-01-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

>`S' could be rebound to `Info-search-next'.

Me too. (That was what i did in my personal setup.)

--
Johan Bockgård