all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Permanently Changing Search Option
@ 2006-06-20  4:58 Bill
From: Bill @ 2006-06-20  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure there must be a way to permanently change the Emacs's search
options so that C-s always searches word by word and not one letter at
a time, as I type. They key word here is permanently. I know it can be
done using C-s Enter, but I'd like Emacs to do this using C-s instead.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

* Re: Permanently Changing Search Option
@ 2006-06-20 18:43 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-06-20 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill wrote:
> I'm sure there must be a way to permanently change the Emacs's search
> options so that C-s always searches word by word and not one letter at
> a time, as I type. They key word here is permanently. I know it can be
> done using C-s Enter, but I'd like Emacs to do this using C-s instead.

(setq isearch-word t) ; or is setq-default necessary?

--
Kevin

* Re: Permanently Changing Search Option
       [not found] <mailman.3046.1150779514.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-20 22:55 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-06-20 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill <tfc4@cybcon.com> writes:

> I'm sure there must be a way to permanently change the Emacs's
> search options so that C-s always searches word by word and not one
> letter at a time, as I type. They key word here is permanently. I
> know it can be done using C-s Enter, but I'd like Emacs to do this
> using C-s instead.

      Forward and backward word searches are implemented by the
      commands `word-search-forward' and `word-search-backward'. These
      commands may be bound to keys in the usual manner. They are
      available via the incremental search commands both for
      historical reasons and to avoid the need to find separate key
      sequences for them.

(info "(emacs)Word Search")

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Permanently Changing Search Option
@ 2006-06-26 18:49   ` bjemacs
From: bjemacs @ 2006-06-26 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin:

Thanks for the info.

I'm not quite clear what you meant to say above.

Can you elaborate for me?

Thanks
bj
Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

* Re: Permanently Changing Search Option
@ 2006-06-27 15:30     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3420.1151438015.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-06-27 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

bjemacs wrote:
> Kevin:
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I'm not quite clear what you meant to say above.
>
> Can you elaborate for me?

This is Emacs Lisp:

(setq isearch-word t)

Emacs Lisp is used to customize and extend Emacs.  Emacs customizations
are made persistent for future sessions by saving them in your ~/.emacs
file.

--
Kevin

* Re: Permanently Changing Search Option
@ 2006-06-27 19:53       ` bjemacs
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3420.1151438015.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bjemacs @ 2006-06-27 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin:

I just now put (setq isearch-word t) in my .emacs file. Restarted a session
in Emacs. But the search remains incrimental.

Any further thoughts?

Appreciated.

@ 2006-06-28  5:18         ` Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2006-06-28  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

bjemacs wrote:

> Kevin:
>
> I just now put (setq isearch-word t) in my .emacs file.
> Restarted a session in Emacs. But the search remains
> incrimental.
>
> Any further thoughts?
>
> Appreciated.
>
> bj

Put this into your init file (~/.emacs usually)

(global-set-key (kbd "C-s") 'search-forward)

* Re: Permanently Changing Search Option
@ 2006-06-28 20:45         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-06-28 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

bjemacs wrote:
> I just now put (setq isearch-word t) in my .emacs file. Restarted a session
> in Emacs. But the search remains incrimental.
>
> Any further thoughts?

Ah, I see now that isearch-mode resets isearch-word each time it's
called.  Try this:

(add-hook 'isearch-mode (lambda () (setq isearch-word t)))

--
Kevin

* Re: Permanently Changing Search Option
@ 2006-08-09 14:04           ` bjemacs
From: bjemacs @ 2006-08-09 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin:

Sorry for the delay in trying out your suggestion.

Yes, these two .emacs additions do just what I needed.

Thanks much.

Bill
Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.