all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* url package
@ 2009-03-07 15:53 B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.2667.1236461978.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-07 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A web site claims that by merely loading this package you can C-x C-f on
a Url and have its html code loaded into a buffer. I get a new buffer
with the name of the html file that would be listed by clicking on View
 > Page Source in Firefox but the buffer is empty. What else has to be
done besides M-x load-library url before opening a buffer with the url's
source?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: url package
@ 2009-03-07 21:39 ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found] ` <mailman.2667.1236461978.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2009-03-07 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> A web site claims that by merely loading this package you can C-x C-f
> on a Url and have its html code loaded into a buffer. I get a new
> buffer with the name of the html file that would be listed by clicking
> on View > Page Source in Firefox but the buffer is empty. What else
> has to be done besides M-x load-library url before opening a buffer
> with the url's source?

M-x url-handler-mode (load-library is not needed since the function is
autoloaded)

* Re: url package
       [not found] ` <mailman.2667.1236461978.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-07 23:28   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-07 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Johan Bockgård wrote:
> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> A web site claims that by merely loading this package you can C-x C-f
>> on a Url and have its html code loaded into a buffer. I get a new
>> buffer with the name of the html file that would be listed by clicking
>> on View > Page Source in Firefox but the buffer is empty. What else
>> has to be done besides M-x load-library url before opening a buffer
>> with the url's source?
>
> M-x url-handler-mode (load-library is not needed since the function is
> autoloaded)

Thanks, Johan, but it still doesn't work as advertised, at least not on
w32 version 22.1
M-x browse-url-at-point brings up the web page in Firefox and
View>PageSource shows the code, but if I try C-x C-f
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
I get an empty buffer named c:/en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/

Then I tried other web pages and some filled the buffer with html and
others didn't. Shouldn't there be some minimal block of html code on any
page?

* Re: url package
@ 2009-03-09 22:56     ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2796.1237105025.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2009-03-09 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> M-x browse-url-at-point brings up the web page in Firefox and
> View > PageSource shows the code, but if I try C-x C-f
> http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
> I get an empty buffer named c:/en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/

Did you clear the minibuffer buffer pasting the string?

* Re: url package
@ 2009-03-11  0:06     ` Xah Lee
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2796.1237105025.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-03-11  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 7, 4:28 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Johan Bockgård wrote:
> > "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> writes:
>
> >> A web site claims that by merely loading this package you can C-x C-f
> >> on a Url and have its html code loaded into a buffer. I get a new
> >> buffer with the name of the html file that would be listed by clicking
> >> on View > Page Source in Firefox but the buffer is empty. What else
> >> has to be done besides M-x load-library url before opening a buffer
> >> with the url's source?
>
> > M-x url-handler-mode (load-library is not needed since the function is
> > autoloaded)
>
> Thanks, Johan, but it still doesn't work as advertised, at least not on
> w32 version 22.1
> M-x browse-url-at-point brings up the web page in Firefox and
> View>PageSource shows the code, but if I try C-x C-fhttp://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
> I get an empty buffer named c:/en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
>
> Then I tried other web pages and some filled the buffer with html and
> others didn't. Shouldn't there be some minimal block of html code on any
> page?

haven't tried the package you mentioned. However, i it's very easy to
implement what you want, in about 10 min.

you can call several external programs such as linx, w3, wget, curl,
GET, to fetch the the source of a url, then create a buffer and insert
it there. Just wrap it with shell-command-on-region. I think the
following tutorial covers it exactly:

• Elisp Wrapper For Perl Scripts
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_perl_wrapper.html

a pure elisp solution is also easy. Just call one of those elisp
packages that fetchs stuff over network. e.g. look at the installation
instruction in ljupdate mode.

Getting the url for the input of fetch is easy, by thing-at-point.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: url package
@ 2009-03-11 13:32       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee wrote:
> On Mar 7, 4:28 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>> Johan Bockgård wrote:
>>> M-x url-handler-mode (load-library is not needed since the function is
>>> autoloaded)
>> Thanks, Johan, but it still doesn't work as advertised, at least not on
>> w32 version 22.1
>> M-x browse-url-at-point brings up the web page in Firefox and
>> View>PageSource shows the code, but if I try C-x C-fhttp://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
>> I get an empty buffer named c:/en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
>>
>> Then I tried other web pages and some filled the buffer with html and
>> others didn't. Shouldn't there be some minimal block of html code on any
>> page?
>
> haven't tried the package you mentioned. However, i it's very easy to
> implement what you want, in about 10 min.
>
> you can call several external programs such as linx, w3, wget, curl,
> GET, to fetch the the source of a url, then create a buffer and insert
> it there. Just wrap it with shell-command-on-region. I think the
> following tutorial covers it exactly:
>
> • Elisp Wrapper For Perl Scripts
>   http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_perl_wrapper.html
>
> a pure elisp solution is also easy. Just call one of those elisp
> packages that fetchs stuff over network. e.g. look at the installation
> instruction in ljupdate mode.
>
> Getting the url for the input of fetch is easy, by thing-at-point.
>
>   Xah
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

Thanks, Xah. My understanding of Emacs is still quite retarded and so I
want to keep it simple and stick with what comes out of the box in
vanilla Emacs, at least for now.

* Re: url package
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2796.1237105025.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-17  3:49       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-17  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Johan Bockgård wrote:
> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> M-x browse-url-at-point brings up the web page in Firefox and
>> View > PageSource shows the code, but if I try C-x C-f
>> http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
>> I get an empty buffer named c:/en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
>
> Did you clear the minibuffer buffer pasting the string?

I did backspace all the way to triggering the read only prompt. But now
when I try that same url, the buffer does load with the html code.

???

Thanks anyway.