all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* defining long abbrevs
@ 2003-11-04 23:19 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-04 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I type C-x a g to define an abbrev, it only defines the last word
(even if I select many words).  I can, of course, edit the abbrev def
file, but is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

* Re: defining long abbrevs
       [not found] <mailman.3175.1067991731.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-05 18:35 ` Galen Boyer
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3261.1068062972.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-11-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003, dan@mathjunkies.com wrote:
> When I type C-x a g to define an abbrev, it only defines the
> last word (even if I select many words).  I can, of course,
> edit the abbrev def file, but is there an easier way?

C-u C-x a g should work.
--
Galen Boyer

* Re: defining long abbrevs
@ 2003-11-05 20:08   ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3261.1068062972.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-05 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> C-u C-x a g should work.

Perhaps I should be more specific.  I can type C-x a g or C-u C-x a g
and get the last word or sentence (or even count words with ESC number
C-x a g).  But the problem I'm running into is that if I do that Emacs
is "guessing" about what I want, and doesn't always guess correctly.

Is there any way to mark text and then C-x a g it?  I tried M-x
abbrev-prefix-mark and all it did was insert a - into the buffer at the
text position.

I figure there has to be some way..

-Dan

* Re: defining long abbrevs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3261.1068062972.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-05 21:41     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-11-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> Is there any way to mark text and then C-x a g it?

Read C-h k C-x a g

--
Johan Bockgård