all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to customize fonts in the tex-mode?
@ 2008-04-08  8:03 Yang
       [not found] ` <mailman.10138.1207644975.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Yang @ 2008-04-08  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry maybe this is a beginner's question, but I cannot seem to find an
answer after poking around in google for a while.

How do I customize the color and fonts in the tex-mode (or any other
mode)? If I am editing a LaTeX file, how do I set the fonts and color for
things like \section{section name}, {\bf word}, etc. For example, how do I
make "section name" to use a larger font with a different color?

Do I have put code in the .emacs file, or can I use the emacs M-X
customize buffer to change values? and where? I am trying to match the
settings with my previous Carbon emacs on a Mac, whose default setting
looks very beautiful.

I've tried to copy the "tex-mode.el" file from the Carbon emacs package to
my current emacs installation. But that does not seem to have any effect.

Thanks in advance!
--Yang

* Re: How to customize fonts in the tex-mode?
@ 2008-04-08  8:56 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.10138.1207644975.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-08  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.04.2008 um 10:03 schrieb Yang:
> Do I have put code in the .emacs file, or can I use the emacs M-X
> customize buffer to change values? and where?

Position the cursor inside the text whose face you want to change.
Type C-u C-x =. In GNU Emacs 23 you'll see the hyper-link to the
customisation interface, in other versions you need to click into the
face's name and are then able to go from the *Help* buffer to the
*Customize* buffer.

Your settings, when made permanent, go into ~/.emacs.

> I've tried to copy the "tex-mode.el" file from the Carbon emacs
> package to my current emacs installation. But that does not seem to
> have any effect.

Can it be, that you mix up built-in TeX mode with external AUCTeX?

--
Greetings

   Pete                           <]
              o        __o         |__    o       HPV, the real
     ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%     high speed!
___/\ /\___./ \___...O/ O____.....`-O-'-()--o_________________

@ 2008-04-08 11:36   ` Yang
From: Yang @ 2008-04-08 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 08.04.2008 um 10:03 schrieb Yang:
>> Do I have put code in the .emacs file, or can I use the emacs M-X customize
>> buffer to change values? and where?
>
> Position the cursor inside the text whose face you want to change. Type C-u
> C-x =. In GNU Emacs 23 you'll see the hyper-link to the customisation
> interface, in other versions you need to click into the face's name and are
> then able to go from the *Help* buffer to the *Customize* buffer.
>
> Your settings, when made permanent, go into ~/.emacs.

Thanks very much for this info. I am able to use the "C-u C-x =" key
sequence to invoke the corresponding face customization buffer. Just
curious, what function does this key sequence execute? (it seems that
"C-h k" will only accept a single key sequence)

>> I've tried to copy the "tex-mode.el" file from the Carbon emacs package to
>> my current emacs installation. But that does not seem to have any effect.
>

> Can it be, that you mix up built-in TeX mode with external AUCTeX?

That I'm not sure. I just simply copied the file
"%EMACS%/lisp/textmodes/tex-mode.el" from the carbon emacs package on the
Mac to the corresponding place of my new emacs installtion (which is
version 22.1.1 running under windows). I am not familiar with the internal
working of the tex-mode. I don't even know if my carbon emacs is loaded
with the AUCTex package by default. How do I find out these? It would
certainly be very convenient to just copy the carbon emacs settings
instead of going through everything manually. Thanks again.

@ 2008-04-08 14:14     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.04.2008 um 13:36 schrieb Yang:
>  Just curious, what function does this key sequence execute? (it
> seems that
> "C-h k" will only accept a single key sequence)

C-u is a "universal" prefix, or argument, i.e., it can mean different
things in each case it is used. So leave it away and try

	C-h k C-x =

For C-x = it just makes the function create more and detailed output.

> I don't even know if my carbon emacs is loaded with the AUCTex
> package by default.

The recent ones are.

> How do I find out these?

Visit a TeX or LaTeX or ConTeXt file and look at the menus. The TeX
or LaTeX menu will have some AUCTeX entries.

> It would certainly be very convenient to just copy the carbon emacs
> settings instead of going through everything manually.

You can extend load-path (the Emacs variable) to search for the
AUCTeX and Preview ELisp files inside the Carbon Emacs bundle. Or you
can install AUCTeX. And extend load-path, too. The lines

   (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
   (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

in some init file would be needed. Best read the AUCTeX (and Preview)
manual(s) from Carbon Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.
				– Evan Esar

* Re: How to customize fonts in the tex-mode?
@ 2008-04-08 21:44     ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10179.1207696515.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-04-08 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yang <fz15@HPC.MsState.Edu> writes:

> I am able to use the "C-u C-x =" key sequence to invoke the
> corresponding face customization buffer.

You can use M-x customize-face to get there directly.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: How to customize fonts in the tex-mode?
@ 2008-04-08 23:14       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10179.1207696515.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-08 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Bockgård; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.04.2008 um 23:44 schrieb Johan Bockgård:
> You can use M-x customize-face to get there directly.

Which face?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

@ 2008-04-09  8:48         ` Yang
From: Yang @ 2008-04-09  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, the problem with "M-x customize-face" is that I don't know which one
to go to for those various items. And the "C-u C-x =" will tell me which
face they use.

Anyway, I found my Carbon Emacs is loaded with AUCTex and preview by
default, while my windows emacs is not. So I think I'll just need to
install an AUCTex package in the new emacs and that should have those nice
settings back.

Thanks very much for the help.

@ 2008-04-09 10:39           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-09 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 09.04.2008, at 10:48, Yang wrote:
> So I think I'll just need to install an AUCTex package in the new
> emacs

Which seems to be provided for download: http://www.gnu.org/software/
auctex/download.html

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

@ 2008-04-09 21:29         ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-04-09 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 08.04.2008 um 23:44 schrieb Johan Bockgård:
>> You can use M-x customize-face to get there directly.
>
> Which face?

Press RET.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: How to customize fonts in the tex-mode?
@ 2008-04-09 21:52           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-09 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Bockgård; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.04.2008 um 23:29 schrieb Johan Bockgård:
> Peter Dyballa writes:
>
>> Am 08.04.2008 um 23:44 schrieb Johan Bockgård:
>>> You can use M-x customize-face to get there directly.
>>
>> Which face?
>
> Press RET.

Indeed: looks good!

--
Greetings

   Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
				– George W. Bush