all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customization of browse-url has no effect
@ 2003-05-08 11:53 upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-08 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I want to use lynx (in an emacs window) as browsewr from within emacs.

Via M-x customize I specified links as browser. In .emacs this looks
 lke this:

(custom-set-variables
'(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-lynx-emacs))
)

It works fine immediately after clicking on "save changes for this
session" and "save session for future sessions", but aftre shutting
down emacs and restarting the program it stops working. When hitting
return on a link (or clicking on it) I get the error message:
"Searching for program: file or directory not found, netscape"

When I specify w3 in new frame (via gnudoit) as browsewr nothing
happens at all. (Yes, I have gnudoit installed...)

What's my error?

Thank You In Advance!

--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* Re: customization of browse-url has no effect
@ 2003-05-08 12:22 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-05-08 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> I want to use lynx (in an emacs window) as browsewr from within emacs.
>
> Via M-x customize I specified links as browser. In .emacs this looks
>  lke this:
>
> (custom-set-variables
> '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-lynx-emacs))
> )
>
> It works fine immediately after clicking on "save changes for this
> session" and "save session for future sessions", but aftre shutting
> down emacs and restarting the program it stops working. When hitting
> return on a link (or clicking on it) I get the error message:
> "Searching for program: file or directory not found, netscape"

What is the value of the browse-url-browser-function variable (type
C-h v browse-url-browser-function RET to find out) after you started
Emacs for the second time?  If it is not browse-url-lynx-emacs, then
either 1) your .emacs with the above code snippet was not loaded, or
2) there is something in your .emacs after the code snippet that
changes browse-url-browser-function, or 3) you have a default.el that
does this.  To test the latter possibility, put

(setq inhibit-default-init t)

in your .emacs to prevent loading default.el.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "undercover mindwar infowar"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: customization of browse-url has no effect
@ 2003-05-08 12:25   ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-08 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I want to use lynx (in an emacs window) as browsewr from within emacs.
>>
>> Via M-x customize I specified links as browser. In .emacs this looks
>>  lke this:
>>
>> (custom-set-variables
>> '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-lynx-emacs))
>> )
>>
>> It works fine immediately after clicking on "save changes for this
>> session" and "save session for future sessions", but aftre shutting
>> down emacs and restarting the program it stops working. When hitting
>> return on a link (or clicking on it) I get the error message:
>> "Searching for program: file or directory not found, netscape"
>
> What is the value of the browse-url-browser-function variable (type
> C-h v browse-url-browser-function RET to find out) after you started
> Emacs for the second time?  If it is not browse-url-lynx-emacs, then
> either 1) your .emacs with the above code snippet was not loaded, or
> 2) there is something in your .emacs after the code snippet that
> changes browse-url-browser-function, or 3) you have a default.el that
> does this.  To test the latter possibility, put
>
> (setq inhibit-default-init t)
>
> in your .emacs to prevent loading default.el.
You're great - with inhibit-default-init in .emacs it finally works!

browse-url-browser-function's value is browse-url-netscape.

I have nothing in my .emacs talking about browsing, netscape or
similar, apart from the above line from custom-set-variables.

How come my custzom variable was not taken?

Thanks!

--

@ 2003-05-08 12:48     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-05-08 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

>> 3) you have a default.el that does this. To test the latter
>> possibility, put
>>
>> (setq inhibit-default-init t)
>>
>> in your .emacs to prevent loading default.el.

> You're great - with inhibit-default-init in .emacs it finally works!
[...]
> How come my custzom variable was not taken?

Point 3) above.

M-x locate-library RET default RET

will tell you where the file is.

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge

* Re: customization of browse-url has no effect
@ 2003-05-08 12:55     ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-05-08 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

[...]

> You're great - with inhibit-default-init in .emacs it finally works!
>
> browse-url-browser-function's value is browse-url-netscape.
>
> I have nothing in my .emacs talking about browsing, netscape or
> similar, apart from the above line from custom-set-variables.
>
> How come my custzom variable was not taken?

I understand that without (setq inhibit-default-init t) in your
.emacs, browse-url-browser-function's value is browse-url-netscape and
with (setq inhibit-default-init t) in you .emacs, its value is
browse-url-lynx-emacs.

This means that you have a default.el file somewhere in your load-path
(type C-h v load-path RET to find out what your load-path is) that
changes browse-url-browser-function.  Such a default.el file is loaded
after .emacs is loaded, so it would "overwrite" the settings you put
in .emacs.  It might be a good idea to locate this library (try typing
M-x locate-library RET default RET) and see what more is in it.  You
may even want to delete it.  (Note that default.el is not shipped with
Emacs, but is put on your system by the system administrators or your
OS distribution).

Lute.

--
(spook) => "bullion ammunition IMF"

@ 2003-05-08 15:21       ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-08 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:
>
>>> 3) you have a default.el that does this. To test the latter
>>> possibility, put
>>>
>>> (setq inhibit-default-init t)
>>>
>>> in your .emacs to prevent loading default.el.
>
>> You're great - with inhibit-default-init in .emacs it finally works!
> [...]
>> How come my custzom variable was not taken?
>
> Point 3) above.
>
> M-x locate-library RET default RET
>
> will tell you where the file is.

Oops - strange enough I don't have a file default.el... How can a
default value override my browse-program customization of there is no
default.el file?!?

Should I try to find one? I've been fine without until now...

--

@ 2003-05-08 15:25       ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-08 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> You're great - with inhibit-default-init in .emacs it finally works!
>>
>> browse-url-browser-function's value is browse-url-netscape.
>>
>> I have nothing in my .emacs talking about browsing, netscape or
>> similar, apart from the above line from custom-set-variables.
>>
>> How come my custzom variable was not taken?
>
> I understand that without (setq inhibit-default-init t) in your
> .emacs, browse-url-browser-function's value is browse-url-netscape and
> with (setq inhibit-default-init t) in you .emacs, its value is
> browse-url-lynx-emacs.
>
> This means that you have a default.el file somewhere in your load-path
> (type C-h v load-path RET to find out what your load-path is) that
> changes browse-url-browser-function.  Such a default.el file is loaded
> after .emacs is loaded, so it would "overwrite" the settings you put
> in .emacs.  It might be a good idea to locate this library (try typing
> M-x locate-library RET default RET) and see what more is in it.  You
> may even want to delete it.  (Note that default.el is not shipped with
> Emacs, but is put on your system by the system administrators or your
> OS distribution).
>
> Lute.

Hi Lute!

Well - I don't have any default.el or default.elc or default file on
my machine.

So something else must be wrong Do you have any idea, what?.

Thanks!

--

@ 2003-05-08 15:42         ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-05-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>
>> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

>>> You're great - with inhibit-default-init in .emacs it finally works!
>> [...]
>>> How come my custzom variable was not taken?
>>
>> Point 3) above.
>>
>> M-x locate-library RET default RET
>>
>> will tell you where the file is.
>
> Oops - strange enough I don't have a file default.el...

Really?  But, your Emacs does behave differently (i.e., with respect
to setting browse-url-browser-function on startup) when you put (setq
inhibit-default-init t) in your .emacs?  Amazing.  At this point I
would start grepping my hard disk.  ;-)

> How can a default value override my browse-program customization of
> there is no default.el file?!?

I'm baffled.

> Should I try to find one? I've been fine without until now...

There is no need to get one.  It's just that its presence would
explain the problem you were experiencing.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "Perl-RSA CNCIS sweep"

@ 2003-05-08 15:43           ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Point 3) above.
>>>
>>> M-x locate-library RET default RET
>>>
>>> will tell you where the file is.
>>
>> Oops - strange enough I don't have a file default.el...
>
> Really?  But, your Emacs does behave differently (i.e., with respect
> to setting browse-url-browser-function on startup) when you put (setq
> inhibit-default-init t) in your .emacs?  Amazing.  At this point I
> would start grepping my hard disk.  ;-)

Well - I have some spare time ... so I'll start grep -r /usr/*. Actually -
grep what? browse-url-browser-function?

I'll tell you the result...!

--

@ 2003-05-08 19:32         ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-05-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> Well - I don't have any default.el or default.elc or default file on
> my machine.
>
> So something else must be wrong Do you have any idea, what?.

I believe that red hat has a site-start.el file that gets loaded.  I
may have the name wrong, but I would just find all .el files on your
system.  There can't be that many.

* Re: customization of browse-url has no effect
@ 2003-05-08 23:44           ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-05-08 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Well - I don't have any default.el or default.elc or default file on
>> my machine.
>>
>> So something else must be wrong Do you have any idea, what?.
>
> I believe that red hat has a site-start.el file that gets loaded.  I
> may have the name wrong, but I would just find all .el files on your
> system.  There can't be that many.

Yes, but a) The loading of site-start.el should not be affected by
toggling `inhibit-default-init'; b) It is loaded before .emacs (and so
should be overridden).

Are you *sure* there is no default.el(c)?