all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Error byte compiling a file
@ 2007-05-28  2:59 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2007-05-28  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here is my trashcan system:

http://www.geocities.com/davinpearson/research/2006/trashcan.el.html

When I try to byte compile this file I get the following error
message:

Compiling file d:/home/mylisp/trashcan.el at Mon May 28 14:51:54 2007
  ** reference to free variable trashcan--refresh-count
  ** assignment to free variable trashcan--refresh-count

The problem is that I WANT TO assign to the free variable trashcan--
refresh-count.

Should I simply ignore this error message then?

* Re: Error byte compiling a file
@ 2007-05-28  6:32 ` Daniel Jensen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1346.1180342540.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-05-28  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> Here is my trashcan system:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davinpearson/research/2006/trashcan.el.html
>
> When I try to byte compile this file I get the following error
> message:
>
> Compiling file d:/home/mylisp/trashcan.el at Mon May 28 14:51:54 2007
>   ** reference to free variable trashcan--refresh-count
>   ** assignment to free variable trashcan--refresh-count
>
> The problem is that I WANT TO assign to the free variable trashcan--
> refresh-count.
>
> Should I simply ignore this error message then?

Define the variable with defvar before use. You use the variable only
buffer-locally, so put a call to make-variable-buffer-local after the
defvar form. Then you don't need to use make-local-variable.

* Re: Error byte compiling a file
@ 2007-05-28  8:53 ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found] ` <mailman.1346.1180342540.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   Should I simply ignore this error message then?

This is not an error message but a warning. Best is to fix it to
"silent" the byte compiler but anyway you can ignore it. Try to
defvar your variable to nil and see what happens (it is often
enough).

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

@ 2007-05-28  9:01   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2007-05-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 28, 8:53 pm, Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Should I simply ignore this error message then?
>
> This is not an error message but a warning. Best is to fix it to
> "silent" the byte compiler but anyway you can ignore it. Try to
> defvar your variable to nil and see what happens (it is often
> enough).
>
>         Xavier
> --http://www.gnu.orghttp://www.april.orghttp://www.lolica.org

Thanx it work fine with (defvar <variable> nil)

* Re: Error byte compiling a file
@ 2007-06-02  9:15     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-06-02  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanx it work fine with (defvar <variable> nil)

Or use this method:

D.5 Tips for Avoiding Compiler Warnings

   * Try to avoid compiler warnings about undefined free variables, by
     adding dummy `defvar' definitions for these variables, like this:

          (defvar foo)

     Such a definition has no effect except to tell the compiler not to
     warn about uses of the variable `foo' in this file.

    [...]

--
Johan Bockgård