all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Not finding xterm settings
@ 2007-11-21 19:49 Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2007-11-21 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to help crank Emacs up on a Nokia N800. Someone has compiled
the binary, and I've copied over all of /usr/share/emacs/22.1 and site-
lisp (the binary seemed to want it all in /usr/local/share/emacs so I
complied :-)

The only shell is an xterm (correctly set in the TERM environment
variable), but when I start emacs at the command line, it complains that
Terminal type xterm is not defined. I checked in /usr/local/share/
emacs/22.1/lisp/term and xterm.elc *is* there.

I don't understand why it's not finding it (there is no .emacs yet). Is
there some other file that it needs in order to grok xterm.elc? What is
the mechanism by which an unadorned new binary would go hunting for the
relevant terminal type file?

///Peter

* Re: Not finding xterm settings
@ 2007-11-22  0:15 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-11-22  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Flynn <peter.nosp@m.silmaril.ie> writes:

> The only shell is an xterm (correctly set in the TERM environment
> variable), but when I start emacs at the command line, it complains
> that Terminal type xterm is not defined. I checked in
> /usr/local/share/ emacs/22.1/lisp/term and xterm.elc *is* there.

It's not the Lisp library that's missing--it's the terminfo description
for xterm. (Emacs skips the Lisp file if it doesn't exist.)

--
Johan Bockgård