all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs + yellowdog linux + Playstation 3
@ 2007-03-29 19:59 Texaner
From: Texaner @ 2007-03-29 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I tried to install emacs on my PS3 (yellow dog linux) with the result
that when I try to start emacs via command line interpreter the system
always returns that it does not know color "black".

Has anyone had a similar experience with the above mentioned
configuration and a solution for my problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

* Re: emacs + yellowdog linux + Playstation 3
@ 2007-03-29 21:57 ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1597.1175205604.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-29 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Texaner wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I tried to install emacs on my PS3 (yellow dog linux) with the result
> that when I try to start emacs via command line interpreter the system
> always returns that it does not know color "black".

Did you try:

emacs -nw

Matt Flaschen

@ 2007-03-30 19:09   ` Texaner
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1619.1175284456.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Texaner @ 2007-03-30 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot. That works. I found out what this option means.
How can I install emacs in a way that I do not have to use this
option?

Thanks a lot in advance.

@ 2007-03-30 19:51     ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1619.1175284456.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-03-30 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-03-30 23:09       ` Texaner
From: Texaner @ 2007-03-30 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, that is an option. But what I wanted to know is what is wrong
with my installation that just "emacs" without the option "-nw" does
not work.

* Re: emacs + yellowdog linux + Playstation 3
@ 2007-03-30 23:47         ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-03-30 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs + yellowdog linux + Playstation 3
@ 2007-03-31  9:02         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-31  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Texaner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.03.2007 um 01:09 schrieb Texaner:

> Yes, that is an option. But what I wanted to know is what is wrong
> with my installation that just "emacs" without the option "-nw" does
> not work.

YDL is X11 aware. When you also installed the developers packages (C
header files), then Emacs' configure script found them, together with
the X libraries. From this a GNU Emacs binary was compiled that is an
X client. This kind is also the default type of GNU Emacs in Linux
and other UNIX distributions – only Mac OS X installs a non-windowing
GNU Emacs.

You can compile your own non-windowing GNU Emacs when you invoke
configure with '--without-x' – or you set CPPFLAGS or make configure
options like --x-includes=DIR or --x-libraries=DIR to point where no
X11 related material can be found. Than you'll get a binary that
might only use libncurses and won't be able to use a windowing
environment ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
                                       Isaac Asimov

* Re: emacs + yellowdog linux + Playstation 3
@ 2007-03-31  9:59           ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-31  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 31.03.2007 um 01:09 schrieb Texaner:
>
>> Yes, that is an option. But what I wanted to know is what is wrong
>> with my installation that just "emacs" without the option "-nw" does
>> not work.
>
> YDL is X11 aware. When you also installed the developers packages (C
> header files), then Emacs' configure script found them, together with
> the X libraries. From this a GNU Emacs binary was compiled that is an X
> client.

I think his question is how to get an emacs that correctly runs on X
Windows, without the error mentioned before.

Matt Flaschen

@ 2007-03-31 11:37 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-03-31 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Texaner" <texaner82@web.de> writes:

> I tried to install emacs on my PS3 (yellow dog linux) with the
> result that when I try to start emacs via command line interpreter
> the system always returns that it does not know color "black".
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience with the above mentioned
> configuration and a solution for my problem?

Sounds like

    *** Error messages about undefined colors on X. [...]

    "undefined color" messages can also occur if the RgbPath entry in
    the X configuration file is incorrect, or the rgb.txt file is not
    where X expects to find it.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: emacs + yellowdog linux + Playstation 3
@ 2007-03-31 11:39             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-31 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Flaschen; +Cc: emacs

Am 31.03.2007 um 11:59 schrieb Matthew Flaschen:

> I think his question is how to get an emacs that correctly runs on X
> Windows, without the error mentioned before.

The colour "black" ...

Emacs.app, the Cocoa/OpenStep for OS X and GNUstep Emacs, had some
time a problem with "dark red" – for GNUstep compatibility it has a
file that contains all X11 colours + transparency. This file was
created long ago and X.Org added some colours after that date. And
was trying to use one of these (new and undefined) colours ...

Could be Texaner's problem with YDL is that rgb.txt was not installed
or is corrupt:

-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  17371  7 Nov 02:27 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
rgb.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 pete  admin  17371 11 Mär 00:51 /usr/X11R7/share/X11/
rgb.txt

Has YDL on the PS3 a way to 'trace' how a programme works, which
files and libraries it opens, and where it tries to find them?

--
Greetings

   Pete

The world would be a better place if Larry Wall had been born in
Iceland, or any other country where the native language actually has
syntax.
                                           -- Peter da Silva