all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using emacs/efs with@ in username
@ 2003-02-06  0:08 andrew dunn
From: andrew dunn @ 2003-02-06  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Ive been using XEmacs now with my own server for quite some time,
opening and saving documents remotely using the format:
/user@domain.com:/file.html

Recently Ive had to start editing files on a server that includes the @
symbol in the username (e.g. 'user@domain.com'), which seems to make it
impossible to open files correctly.

The format for opening now becomes:
/user@domain.com@domain.com:/file.html

As you'd expect this doesn't work because it doesn't know which @ symbol
is part of the username, and which one separates the user from the
domain. I hope this is clear what my problem is, and there is some kind
of simple solution.

Thanks for your help,

--
myperl.cc - web hosting for perl people.

* Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username
@ 2003-02-06  1:43 ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-02-06  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

If the problem is really the "at" sign (which I don't think it is), try
doing:

C-x C-f /path/to/user TAB

and emacs should type in the 'at' sign for you (given that you don't
have other files in the same subdir which start with "user" with some
other character immediately after).

I suspect that the problem is that you created files with names like
"/user@domain.com@domain.com:/file.html" which means that emacs thinks
that "/user@domain.com@domain.com:/" is a subdirectory.  If so, get
around that by putting a backslash ('\') in front of each slash
character ('/') when opening the file.

If this doesn't fix it for you, do an "ls -al" on the files in question
and send the output to us.

hth,
ken

andrew dunn at 00:08 (UTC-0000) on 6 Feb 2003 said:

= Hi,
=
[...]

Happy Gui-Wei 4700

* Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username
@ 2003-02-06  3:00   ` andrew dunn
From: andrew dunn @ 2003-02-06  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but thats not really the issue. The problem I'm
having is loading files from a remote server. Usually if I load a file
from a remote FTP server in XEmacs the username is something like
"username" and the domain will be "domain.com".

To request this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:
/username@domain.com:/nameofthefile.html

Now, the problem comes when the FTP username isn't just "username" but
instead something like "username@domain.com". This means when logging
into the server via normal FTP I enter "username@domain.com" for the
username.

So whenever I want to load this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:
/username@domain.com@domain.com:/nameofile.html

This equates to the required format of:
/USERNAME@DOMAIN:/FILE

But if the username contains an "@" symbol then I get an error:
"Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

Thats pretty much as I'd expect because there are now two "@" symbols in
the line, and emacs doesn't know which part is the username and which is
the server.

Ive tried using:
/username\@domain.com@domain.com:/nameoffile.html

But that doesn't work either.

Do you see what I mean ? Do you have any further suggestions ?

Thanks alot,

Andrew.

--

       [not found] <mailman.1521.1044496601.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-06  8:28 ` Puff Addison
From: Puff Addison @ 2003-02-06  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrew dunn wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for your reply, but thats not really the issue. The problem I'm
>having is loading files from a remote server. Usually if I load a file
>from a remote FTP server in XEmacs the username is something like
>"username" and the domain will be "domain.com".
>
>To request this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:
>/username@domain.com:/nameofthefile.html
>
>Now, the problem comes when the FTP username isn't just "username" but
>instead something like "username@domain.com". This means when logging
>into the server via normal FTP I enter "username@domain.com" for the
>username.
>
>So whenever I want to load this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:
>/username@domain.com@domain.com:/nameofile.html
>
>This equates to the required format of:
>/USERNAME@DOMAIN:/FILE
>
>But if the username contains an "@" symbol then I get an error:
>"Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
>
>Thats pretty much as I'd expect because there are now two "@" symbols in
>the line, and emacs doesn't know which part is the username and which is
>the server.
>
>Ive tried using:
>/username\@domain.com@domain.com:/nameoffile.html
>
>But that doesn't work either.
>
>Do you see what I mean ? Do you have any further suggestions ?
>
>Thanks alot,
>
>Andrew.

Try

/username\\@domain.com@domain.com:/nameoffile.html

i.e a double back slash. This ensures that the @ is still escaped after the input has been read.

This  is a common problem. \ may be parsed an removed before one expects.

--
J. D. Addison
email puff@theaddisons.demon.co.uk

* Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username
@ 2003-02-06 13:42   ` andrew dunn
From: andrew dunn @ 2003-02-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

andy@yage.net
http://www.yage.net

* Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username
@ 2003-02-06 13:45   ` andrew dunn
From: andrew dunn @ 2003-02-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

That sounded like a good idea actually, but no luck. I'm still getting
the same error. I'm using XEmacs if that makes any difference. Would
there be any settings that I have to change to make that \\ work ?

Thanks,

Andrew.

       [not found] <mailman.1509.1044486317.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-06 13:47 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-06 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrew dunn <info@myperl.cc> writes:

> Recently Ive had to start editing files on a server that includes the @
> symbol in the username (e.g. 'user@domain.com'), which seems to make it
> impossible to open files correctly.

I think that EFS has support for "gateways" which want this.
You'd have to read the EFS documentation and search for the key word
"gateway" there.

But if Puff's suggestion works, why bother.  Does it work?
--
A turnip curses Elvis

@ 2003-02-06 14:00 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-02-06 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrew dunn <info@myperl.cc> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Ive been using XEmacs now with my own server for quite some time,
> opening and saving documents remotely using the format:
> /user@domain.com:/file.html
>
> Recently Ive had to start editing files on a server that includes the @
> symbol in the username (e.g. 'user@domain.com'), which seems to make it
> impossible to open files correctly.
>
> The format for opening now becomes:
> /user@domain.com@domain.com:/file.html
>
> As you'd expect this doesn't work because it doesn't know which @ symbol
> is part of the username, and which one separates the user from the
> domain. I hope this is clear what my problem is, and there is some kind
> of simple solution.

You might be able to work around this with efs-set-user (I don't use
XEmacs (and this is gnu.emacs.help, after all)).

,----
| EFS supplies a few interactive commands to make connecting with
| hosts a little easier.
|
| Command `efs-set-user': Prompts for a hostname and a username.  Next
| time access to the host is attempted, EFS will attempt to log in again
| with the new username.
`----

/Johan

@ 2003-02-07  2:26 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-02-07  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrew dunn <info@myperl.cc> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Ive been using XEmacs now with my own server for quite some time,
> opening and saving documents remotely using the format:
> /user@domain.com:/file.html
>
> Recently Ive had to start editing files on a server that includes the @
> symbol in the username (e.g. 'user@domain.com'), which seems to make it
> impossible to open files correctly.
>
> The format for opening now becomes:
> /user@domain.com@domain.com:/file.html
>
> As you'd expect this doesn't work because it doesn't know which @ symbol
> is part of the username, and which one separates the user from the
> domain. I hope this is clear what my problem is, and there is some kind
> of simple solution.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> --
> myperl.cc - web hosting for perl people.
Longshot here but I ran into one of these things once and in my
particular case I was able to use % instead of @ as a delimiter in
the username. You might want to try that.

Unfortunately odds are you won't be so lucky.

Bijan