all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus no longer highlights articles in CVS version
@ 2007-08-22 14:32 Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2007-08-22 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In emacs 21 and 22 I have Gnus display its articles in a gaudy way.
For some odd reason this doesn't work anymore in the CVS version.
I tracked this down to some real old code in my .emacs file, that I
use to display tabs with a slightly different background.

(defun show-tabs () "Show tabs with a slightly changed background"
  (font-lock-add-keywords nil '(("[\t]"  (0 'tab-face t)))))
(add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook 'show-tabs)

This will add '("\t" (0 'tab-face t))' to each buffers font-lock-keywords.
I have no idea why it breaks syntax highlighting in Gnus.
(BTW I haven't used the CVS version since emacs 22 came out).

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Alcatel-Lucent               |
|  Email:             kzeitler@alcatel-lucent.com  |
---
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

* Re: Gnus no longer highlights articles in CVS version
@ 2007-08-22 15:48 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-08-22 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@alcatel-lucent.com> writes:

> (defun show-tabs () "Show tabs with a slightly changed background"
>   (font-lock-add-keywords nil '(("[\t]"  (0 'tab-face t)))))
> (add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook 'show-tabs)
>
> This will add '("\t" (0 'tab-face t))' to each buffers font-lock-keywords.
> I have no idea why it breaks syntax highlighting in Gnus.

It activates font lock's fontification mechanism, which removes the
`face' properties that Gnus added "manually".

--
Johan Bockgård