all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can you change default emacs colors?
@ 2003-10-24  5:21 Daireus Mann
From: Daireus Mann @ 2003-10-24  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I just started using Linux and emacs and i was wondering if there was anyway
to change the default color scheme. I am using red hat 9 and what ever emacs
comes with that. I want to change the backround to black and the black text
white, everything else can stay the same.
Thanks!

* Re: Can you change default emacs colors?
@ 2003-10-24  6:09 ` Ola Nilsson
From: Ola Nilsson @ 2003-10-24  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

"Daireus Mann" <dcmann@cox.net> writes:
> Hi,
> I just started using Linux and emacs and i was wondering if there was anyway
> to change the default color scheme. I am using red hat 9 and what ever emacs
> comes with that. I want to change the backround to black and the black text
> white, everything else can stay the same.
> Thanks!

Try something like this in your emacs:

;;setup colors
(set-background-color "black")
(set-foreground-color "white")

(setq default-frame-alist
  '((width . 120)
    (height . 69)
    (background-color . "black")
    (foreground-color . "white")
    ;;	(font . "-*-Courier New-normal-r-*-*-11-82-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1")))
    ))

I don't think you need both, but I use one (the top) for my none-X (emacs -nw)
emacses, and the bottom one for my X emacses.

In the default-frame-alist you can also see a way of setting the default frame
size and an, out commented, way of selecting a font.

Does anyone know where you find a list of possible color choices? These where
rewritten with black/white, I normally use "lemon chiffon" and "DodgerBlue4",
but I don't know all the options.

Regards,
--
/Ola Nilsson

* Re: Can you change default emacs colors?
@ 2003-10-24 12:52   ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-10-24 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ola Nilsson <sds024five1@sydpost.remove.nu> writes:

> Does anyone know where you find a list of possible color choices? These where
> rewritten with black/white, I normally use "lemon chiffon" and "DodgerBlue4",
> but I don't know all the options.

Apropos is your friend.  "C-h a colors" gets one hit ...

	M-x list-colors-display

which is usually found at

	Edit - Text Properties - Display Colors

* Re: Can you change default emacs colors?
@ 2003-10-24 15:34 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-10-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daireus Mann" <dcmann@cox.net> writes:

> I just started using Linux and emacs and i was wondering if there
> was anyway to change the default color scheme.

Maybe you would like

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Can you change default emacs colors?
@ 2003-10-24 17:39   ` Daireus Mann
From: Daireus Mann @ 2003-10-24 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, this is going to sound really dumb, but remember im a total noob.
where exactaly do i enter these commands?
if i just type ;; then it puts me on the scratch sheet and that does nothing
right?
Thanks for the help btw!

@ 2003-10-24 17:54   ` Daireus Mann
From: Daireus Mann @ 2003-10-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, never mind. I found the .emacs file and put it in there and everything
works great.
Thanks for the help!

@ 2003-10-25  7:43 ` LEE Sau Dan
From: LEE Sau Dan @ 2003-10-25  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Daireus> Hi, I just started using Linux and emacs and i was
    Daireus> wondering if there was anyway to change the default color
    Daireus> scheme. I am using red hat 9 and what ever emacs comes
    Daireus> with that. I want to change the backround to black and
    Daireus> the black text white, everything else can stay the same.
    Daireus> Thanks!

emacs -rv

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)