all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* current-time in a loop
@ 2005-12-08 14:01 PT
From: PT @ 2005-12-08 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

current-time returns a list (HIGH LOW MICROSEC)

If I run it from a loop and leave it running for a few seconds only the
last element is incremented according to the output in the Messages
buffer:

(while t
  (princ (current-time))
  (princ "\n"))

(17304 15330 601809)
(17304 15330 601836)
(17304 15330 601863)
(17304 15330 601889)
(17304 15330 601916)

Why is that?

* Re: current-time in a loop
@ 2005-12-08 14:46 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2005-12-08 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi pt!

At 8 Dec 2005 06:01:18 -0800,
PT wrote:

> current-time returns a list (HIGH LOW MICROSEC)
>
> If I run it from a loop and leave it running for a few seconds only the
> last element is incremented according to the output in the Messages
> buffer:
>
> (while t
>   (princ (current-time))
>   (princ "\n"))
>

> (17304 15330 601809)
> (17304 15330 601836)
> (17304 15330 601863)
> (17304 15330 601889)
> (17304 15330 601916)
>

> Why is that?

that's because emacs is so blindingly fast. 8;-) do a

(while t
  (princ (current-time))
  (sit-for 1)
  (princ "\n"))

and you will see the seconds incrementing. i guess, the printing takes
more time than the loop, and the output is buffered in a way...

regards,

anselm